All night burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Biglumber

Jan 19, 2008
Colorado
I finally achieve an all night burn. This stove will do it if you choke the air all the way off. Is there an adjustment that still allows air in even if the bottom thing is pulled all the way out?
Does the stove have too good of a draft?

Lopi liberty.

TIA

EPA stoves by design will not allow the air to be "completely" choked off. Even if your primary control is set to its absolute lowest setting, some air will be allowed in. The basis for this in the new stoves was to "make sure" that a user couldn't turn the stove into a smokey, smoldering dragon.

Edit: sounds to me like you are in the zone. :)

Biglumber, although you shut the draft off, the stove will still get some air. If that is the reason you wonder about your stove getting too much draft, I highly doubt that it is. Actually, not many stoves will get too much draft; it is more of a case of too many stove operators getting the jitters and knowing that we used to always have a damper in the pipe on our older stoves.

Hey Biglumber- If you reach underneath the front where the primary air is, you can feel that it is not closed even with the rod pulled all the way out. Don't get your finger stuck in there while operating the control.
Some of us CANNOT close it off all the way or we loose a good useable burning temperature. Mine comes all the way out and a nudge back in will sustain a hot fire plus leave enough hot coals for relighting in the morning. If I take the time to load it right before retiring, I'll find a well charred log buried in the back which really helps get things going in the morning. You can tell by how dirty your window is in the morning whether or not you're leaving enough air on.
Hope ya got the blower.
Congratulations-
Ken

kenny chaos said:
Some of us CANNOT close it off all the way or we loose a good useable burning temperature. Mine comes all the way out and a nudge back in will sustain a hot fire plus leave enough hot coals for relighting in the morning. If I take the time to load it right before retiring, I'll find a well charred log buried in the back which really helps get things going in the morning. You can tell by how dirty your window is in the morning whether or not you're leaving enough air on.
Ken

Agreed. Every setup has its own sweet spot after the wood is charred and the temps are brought up.

If I shut my primary air all of the way off, my temp drops, secondary burn ceases, and I get smoke out of my
stack. At 75-80% closed, I get an increase in temperatures with leveling off, sustained secondary burn, and a
smoke-free stack. At 40-50% closed, I get temps rising too fast and wood burning too fast.

northwinds said:
kenny chaos said:
Ken

Agreed. Every setup has its own sweet spot after the wood is charred and the temps are brought up.

If I shut my primary air all of the way off, my temp drops, secondary burn ceases, and I get smoke out of my
stack. At 75-80% closed, I get an increase in temperatures with leveling off, sustained secondary burn, and a
smoke-free stack. At 40-50% closed, I get temps rising too fast and wood burning too fast.

Of course, wood and outside temps factor in too. If it's really cold and I'm burning oak, I have to close it down all the way. If it's warmer and I've got cottonwood, I'll never be able to.

Status
Not open for further replies.