All Nighter Giant Moe Restoration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gmarst

Dec 23, 2023
Georgia
Hey I’m new to this site. I picked up a Giant Moe that I am bringing back to life. I’ve got it in good shape but it’s missing the glass which I have ordered but the glass clips and screws are also missing. Does anyone have a pic or link to what the original clips looked like so I can get or fabricate some?

IMG_2340.jpeg

Nice find, and not in bad shape at all.
Is that a plastic 90* elbow on the intake of the heat exchanger?

Definitely paint it with a high temp stove paint. Wipe it down with alcohol first to remove any oily residues. Stove Brite Satin Black paint would look good on it.

I used Rutland High temp paint on a Fisher in my pole barn and it came out looking very good.

I used polish on steel once, and it just didn't seem to "soak in" like it does with cast iron. Maybe melt in is a more accurate phrase... anyway, very good choice to listen to the experts. Removing polish to do it the right way (paint) is a real pain that I have experience with.

I have painted a couple of steel stoves since and they came out looking really good. The paint holds up well. I brushed it on, so I can't vouch for rattle can stove paint.

Burn it outside for the first few fires if you can.

I have always had good luck with the Stove Bright brand. it's not cheap...but they come is many colors and types (Flat/Glossy/ metallic etc). The cost is worth it because it will hold up over time....I've gone cheaper routes and have not had luck.

good luck. Nice stove.

That's a big improvement!