All SS or galvanized ok for Duratech chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DonNH

Jan 15, 2009
southern NH
I've already got the 20' of Duratech 6" SS pipe that I need (new in box Craigslist find).

Now I need to get the tee, tee support, thimble, etc. The difference for the tee support and wall straps between stainless & galvanized are giving me some heartburn.
The tee support in stainless is about $100 more than in galvanized (~$165 vs $65 depending on where I source it). The strap is about double at $50 vs. $28, but I only need 1 or 2.

This will be going on the back side of my workshop, so cosmetics aren't an issue. Will the galvanized hold up well, or will I regret not springing for the stainless?

I'm also toying with making my own, as I have some scrounged stainless sheet stock around. I'll have to do some extra work anyway to block out the standard support & straps, as the pipe will have to set out about 12-14" from the wall to clear the gable overhang.

Also - on the inside, is it really necessary to use a finishing collar and one of the adapters, or can I just stick the end of my stovepipe into the end of the branch pipe, seal it with refractory cement, & call it good? Again, this is a workshop, and cosmetics aren't an issue.

Thanks

Don

as long as it's not the piping galv/alz is fine for supports... but all base tees liners flashings should be at least 304

My dealer told me that the galvanized pipe is the same as the SS except price, He said we could paint the galv. with high temp paint. The warranty is also the same for either so it is basically just a decision on looks.The innner pipe is stainless just the outer shell is galv.

Yep you are correct, even though they are using 430 SS which is the cheap stuff.. but either exterior is galvanized or stainless.

We usually use the SS for exterior runs just because it looks a little nicer. The galv should hold up just fine though. Most of the part numbers "default" to SS and the GA parts have a "GA" at the end, so we use SS for all the straight pipe anyway, even when enclosed in a chase. Just they way we have always had it setup I guess.

OK, so I guess I'll go with the galvanized for the supports. Will probably stick with the stainless for the Tee just to be consistent with the pipe I have.

Anyone have any thoughts about what's really needed to attach the stovepipe - do I have to get the finish collar & connector, or can I just stuff the stovepipe in & put in a couple screws?

Magnaflex - any insight on how the 430 stainless in the Duratech holds up compared to the 300 series used by other manufacturers? What are the typical failure modes?

Thanx

Don

Here's a small excerpt...

However there is something called 430 stainless steel. 430 stainless steel, while technically stainless steel, will stain and rust. Yes, stainless steel can rust. This low quality stainless steel costs a lot less than 304 stainless steel so it gets used on lower quality grills either in part or completely. 430 stainless steel will need a lot more attention and care if it is going to maintain its appearance. 430 stainless steel, unlike 304 is magnetic, meaning you can stick a magnet to it so take a magnet and touch it to every part of your grill to see if you have 430 stainless steel. If you do you are going to need to keep these parts very clean and very dry. While this metal is basically uncoated steel that is very prone to corrosion you can keep it looking relatively good for several years if you take good care of it.

We use the SS Duartech all the time and I have never seen it rust or corrode, I doubt they are using a low grade SS that will rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.