All this talk about runaway!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jearley35purdue

Nov 8, 2014
Clinton, Ohio
All this talk about runaway has this newbie scared to push my Napoleon 1402 probably like it should. Been burning now since mid October and still figuring it all out as most newbies. Mix of cherry and oak. Mm says 20% and I have split some large splits and rechecked. My stove likes the range of around 500. Secondaries seem to fire for awhile but when it dips below 500 they will kick off. I'm getting descent burns 5-6 hrs with plenty of coals for a good start in the a.m. Haven't checked the stack yet but appears good, limited to no smoke when burning. My question is am I not pushing this stove enough? Should I be in the 550-600 range more frequently? Or am I just a OCD newbie that is a freak about all the details this wood burning brings to a guy! Lol I just don't want any problems or the ole lady will nix this real quick!

Sounds like you are burning right, secondaries only last for so long, once the wood is done off gassing and down to the coaling stage the secondaries will disappear.

No smoke is a good indication you are burning correctly, also your window will tell you as well if it gets all brown.

As for pushing the stove check your user manual, it will usually give you the listed ranges and a thermometer placement location so you are measuring correctly.

Is it heating your area comfortably? That is the only time I try and run mine harder is if the temps drop and I need more BTU's.

Thanks Mellow. Ya the stove is doing its job. Nightly temps are only in the teens right now so it isn't bad here in NEOhio and hasn't really forced me to push the envelope at all. Still learning all the tricks of the trade per say with this wood stove stove but I'm loving it and all the people with good info on this forum. Thanks again for some confirmation. Paranoid as heck for a chimney fire, but sounds as if I'm not in that range just yet. Gonna check my stack here around Xmas and see how she looks with three months use.

It is common for there to be a rise in posts in the fall as new burners start up their new stoves and begin learning about wood burning. Many go in with the incorrect assumption that a wood stove is like an electric stove that you can turn up, down or off at will. Wood burning is not like that. It's more of a rhythmic cycle where the fire rises to a peak, then tapers off for the long burn, then coaling stage. We rarely hear of true runaways here. They are more like exciting moments where the operator waited too long to turn down the air or spaced it out completely. Most of us have had these moments and have learned from them. It sounds like you are doing fine. Relax and enjoy the warmth.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Status
Not open for further replies.