Allegany Premium Hardwood pellets $205/ton....New York State.....ebay...proceed with CAUTION!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
*sigh*...sorry guys!

Agreed with BTU, get the deposit back, and also hunt for pellets from elsewhere.....they are out there. Good thing it happened now, when there still is a supply, rather than a couple months from now. So far, we havent had problems with supply, its more the logistics of getting them to the end user for us...about this time of year, the procrastinators fall off the fence and buy as well....can only do so many deliveries in a day!

As for prebuying, its fine, but I as well wouldnt "buy" in April and expect delivery in September...youre buying product not on the ground.......even if you dont put a deposit down, there is no guarantee your product will be there in September....what if the mill/reload catches fire? what if the mill goes bankrupt? who knows? We dont sell pellets we dont have sitting on the ground, and not paying ahead is ok, but we do ask that our customers take delivery within a month of ordering, simply because we cant store and deliver everyone's pellets in September....

Also, Im trying out a new pellet.......wont name names yet......the folks are good to deal with so far, honest, straight-shooters. Should be interesting....hope it works out!

Hope it works out for you and you get your deposit back so you can move on.

Many people got burnt really bad last year prepaying for pellets and never received
the pellets OR their money back. Not saying this will happen to you, but it does happen.

Prepaying for pellets and buying in bulk without trying them out first is very risky.

Keep us posted how you make out.

I have learned my lesson. I will do a little research next time before jumping on a supposed "great deal".
Talked to the State Police trooper again. He said when he checked out Allegany Pellets he saw wood pellets, equipment, conveyors, etc, however it is apparently a very small operation. He said the district attorney is investigating. He mentioned one person who ordered $92,000 worth of wood pellets and placed a $10,000 deposit. It appears that Allegany Pellets made promises it knew it could not keep.
Since technically my order was to be shipped in September I can not attempt to get my money back through my credit card until October.

Gumby1 said:
Hope you didnt pre-pay for these pellets. Last year a lot of us were taken in by New England Pellet llc. Wont pre-pay again.

What happened w/new england Pellet?

I bought from them this year.

New England Pellet LLC was shut down last year by the CT AG office. You probably bought New England Wood Pellets. Different company.

I am also currently out a deposit for pellets from these guys. I have always done the prepay with a guy I know locally and didn't consider the risks with someone I haven't dealt with before. The delivery was delayed twice before these people sent me a letter saying I would not get my pellets in 2009 and that I can not have my deposit back because they "plan" to fill the order at some point. They give no idea when. The also say they are on a skeleton crew at this time because of circumstances beyond their control. How do you fill orders without a crew? I would say you probably don't. Do not do business with Allegany Pellets.

searay said:
I am also currently out a deposit for pellets from these guys........ these people sent me a letter saying I would not get my pellets in 2009 and that I can not have my deposit back because they "plan" to fill the order at some point. They give no idea when......

Searay, you didn't give them cash or check for the deposit, did you??? :ahhh:

If you used a credit card, contact the card company and ask for money back.

I feel so badly for people in this situation. It actually hurts my soul. I hope this isn't the start of a trend where you take the name of a reputable company (New england Wood pellet, Alleghany Wood Pellet) change the spelling a bit or add the old "LLC" to the back end and stick it to people. Not only are these customers getting the shaft, but the reputable companies get dragged down just through some coicidental (or planned) association or name. I'm waiting for pervesions of all our favorite brands.......Oakanogan, Beerfoot, Fyreside Eltra, Cubecks...you get the idea.

Just to give you an update on NEP LLC "Steve Zac" I went to Enfield court today to find out that his appearance was postponed to November 3rd at 10AM.

WORKERS' COMP FRAUD > $2000 B Felony 1 9/10/2008
LARCENY 1ST DEG B Felony 1 9/10/2008
The above are two of his three charges. You can go to CT.gov and then choose "Judicial" Pending cases. Type in Steve Zaczynski and the site will give you all the info on upcoming cases. These cases are in the Enfield court house GA13. I looked in the Hartford court GA14 but I guess these are the only cases pending for him. Will let you know how it goes on November 3rd.

woodsman23 said:
Thomas C. said:
I ordered online from Allegany pellets in April. They called back to confirm the order. Later I received an e-mail stating they would ship in September. I have called and e-mailed with no response. When I call it is always a recording to leave your name, and invoice number.
Has anyone actually ordered and received pellets from them? I can not even find an address anywhere. Where exactly are they supposedly located?

Here is the addy:

Email~ [email protected]
Phone~ 1 800 816 8153
Mail ~ PO Box 233 Wellsville NY 14895

I called and called and called them and never got them to answer 1x. Customer service is right out the window these days... As mac said to me many months "don't prebuy your pellets" from them.... I agreed and did not.. I hope you did not pay them any money, if so i'd drive down there and kick some pellet ass....

A po box....that always makes me nervous..so to prebuy companies.

I know the idea disgusts people, but you could always go into a hearth retailer, pay a few bucks more per ton, support local small business see the pellets and buy what you see...sometimes jumping thru hoops to save 100 bucks over the course of the year just makes the hoops happy. Heck, even if you wanted to buy what you see at the bix box stores, thats better than a prebuy and at least supports a local workforce, even if they will be the end of mom and pop shops some day.

I got my deposit back through Mastercard. The BBB didn't seem to think it was big deal that they were going to keep my deposit until they were able to produce pellets - whenever that might be. But at least I'm done with these guys now and have gotten pellets from a guy I know locally.

I'm in the same boat. Ordered from them in May for August delivery and got their delay letter. I've contacted the state attorney and VISA for assistance in either getting said pellets or ideally the funds returned.

To add fuel to the fire (so to speak), the company just updated their website -- http://alleganypellets.com/ -- promising pellet delivery in less than two weeks to new customers!

While new to pellet fuel (the stove came with the house) I've learned an important lesson in NEVER prebuying and staying local.

This is the most recent letter from them. I want to believe but after that scam in Connecticut my trust is shaken.

Dear Friends,

I have no doubt that you are regretting your decision to buy your pellets from us by now and sincerely we regret the setbacks that have caused the extended delays in this seasons pre-orders. Responses have been varied to say the least and about half of our customers are feeling really frustrated, several have reported us to the Better Business Bureau and one individual that thought his outrage might be best expressed by throwing a rock through our office window. The other half of our customers are obviously not pleased but are being incredibly understanding of the issues a small manufacturing business faces in America today and are willing to wait for their pellets. If you happen to fall into this last category, Thank You. With our Facility back into limited production we are starting to fill orders once again this coming week and anticipate that all pre orders will be filled by the years end.

For those of you that have decided that you would rather have your funds returned because you have already made other heating arrangements and would rather have your funds returned than have next years pellets waiting there for you already paid, we will be selling your pellets as that invoice number is being filled into the open market at which point your funds will be promptly returned in full.

We are also writing to inform you that one of our mills is repaired and back into production while the others are undergoing repair.

We are still asking that all communication about pre-orders be sent through email or letter to help us streamline our efforts. This will help keep our office staff small and focused on filling your order or returning your funds.

Please consider, if you haven't already, accepting your pellets and having them ready for next years season. If you are willing to accept your pellets you don't need to do anything at this point, we will be in touch when your pellets are on the truck and ready for delivery so that there are no further surprises.

If you would like your pellets sold and your funds repaid please respond to this email with your invoice number and a quick note stating your desire.

If you have any questions feel free to write us at [email protected] or send us a letter to the above address.

Sincerely,

Paul Ceglia
Operating Manager of Allegany Pellets L.L.C.

searay said:
I got my deposit back through Mastercard. The BBB didn't seem to think it was big deal that they were going to keep my deposit until they were able to produce pellets - whenever that might be. But at least I'm done with these guys now and have gotten pellets from a guy I know locally.

The BBB isn't going to do squat. You are lucky you did the deal on a credit card or you most likely would be SOL. Of course this is where we all wonder how many people sent them a check and how they are faring about now. If you have a headache in NY your best bet is to contact the NYS Attorney General's Office. They are much more active ( or at least used to be under Spitzer before he hopped into the Gov seat and hooker infamy).
I still say when you deal with these guys you need to do it cash on the spot and be within punching or handcuffing range. All this makes me wonder whatever happened to that guy who was selling pellets here in Plattsburgh / Albany last summer for 200. I never could "FIND" him either and no one in the adjacent businesses never heard of. Hummm, must be a Twilight Zone sort of thing. This is going to be a corn year for me. They are just starting to harvest and I am getting the box of my truck cleaned out and ready in a couple days. Cash and carry..............

Driz said:
searay said:

The BBB isn't going to do squat. You are lucky you did the deal on a credit card or you most likely would be SOL. Of course this is where we all wonder how many people sent them a check and how they are faring about now. If you have a headache in NY your best bet is to contact the NYS Attorney General's Office. They are much more active ( or at least used to be under Spitzer before he hopped into the Gov seat and hooker infamy).
I still say when you deal with these guys you need to do it cash on the spot and be within punching or handcuffing range. All this makes me wonder whatever happened to that guy who was selling pellets here in Plattsburgh / Albany last summer for 200. I never could "FIND" him either and no one in the adjacent businesses never heard of. Hummm, must be a Twilight Zone sort of thing. This is going to be a corn year for me. They are just starting to harvest and I am getting the box of my truck cleaned out and ready in a couple days. Cash and carry..............
I purchased 22 ton from him, whole truckload, didn't have to give any deposit prior to delivery, in fact I mailed him a check after delivery when they were unloaded. I don't know of anybody that would allow someone to take a delivery of 22 tons of pellets without a deposit of some sort. He is still selling them on ebay, using ebay to promote sales.

[/quote] I purchased 22 ton from him, whole truckload, didn't have to give any deposit prior to delivery, in fact I mailed him a check after delivery when they were unloaded. I don't know of anybody that would allow someone to take a delivery of 22 tons of pellets without a deposit of some sort. He is still selling them on ebay, using ebay to promote sales.[/quote]

Out of curiosity, how do they burn?

I bought from Allegany Pellets back in March and picked up a few bags at their "barn" in Wellsville. Thought the pellets burned good and prepaid for 6 ton, I guess I got the same letter as everyone else saying that the pellets were likely not going to be ready until September, then I got another letter saying that they were back in production and I could count on them in October. After emailing and waiting and waiting and waiting I finally did get a response that said that my pellets were ready and that I could come pick them up, but they want me to send them the remainder of the balance due. I said no F***ing way I am sending you another dollar I am heading there tommorrow to see if they actually are there, which I am guessing they aren't. I've been reading the posts on here for the past few months, great forum, I wish I checked it before I lost my $570bucks.

Has anyone else been notified that they should send in the rest of their money? Seems like insult to injury.

Lopi Stove and Lovin it!

PeedofPellet

Well I got my pellets, not much in the way of an appology but they were there making pellets. neat little operation got to see a mill running for my first time which was also really neat. Anyway just thought I should post after my last post just to say I got em.

Lopi and Lovin it!

PeedofPellet

Good to hear. They've emailed me saying that they will "sell the pellets you ordered on your behalf to return the funds to you, this may take several months as we have other orders to fill."

We'll shall see...

Iasia M. Ceglia, 30, of Wellsville and Paul D. Ceglia, 36, of Wellsville were both charges with fourth-degree grand larceny and first-degree scheme to defraud at 1:25pm Friday at 5591 State Route 19 in the Town of Amity.

I guess that I'll have to wait for restitution through the state. I'm glad that I'm only out $475. Some of life's best lessons are the hardest ones to learn.

fivemillersofpa said:
Iasia M. Ceglia, 30, of Wellsville and Paul D. Ceglia, 36, of Wellsville were both charges with fourth-degree grand larceny and first-degree scheme to defraud at 1:25pm Friday at 5591 State Route 19 in the Town of Amity.

I guess that I'll have to wait for restitution through the state. I'm glad that I'm only out $475. Some of life's best lessons are the hardest ones to learn.

Was that in the paper and do you have a link for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.