Allergic To This Wood!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Typ0

Feeling the Heat
Dec 18, 2014
Central New York
Please help identify this species. I don't have trouble with any others I am encountering in the log load except this one. Every time I work with it I break out! UGH!!!! 20150927_180316[1].jpg

I knew a lady one time that would have an allergic reaction from pine trees. Her skin would turn red.

Do you have a nut allergy? Maybe it is some kind of nut tree. I knew someone that tried to grow cashew trees and found out he was allergic to them. Definitely not cashew, but maybe it's something else.

Could be a mold issue. I have a bad time with grass molds.

Doesn't appear to be black walnut; however, I have the same issue with that type of wood. It's really strange, I've been cutting for several years and handling black walnut will do it every time.

Reactions: Typ0
What does the rash look like? Also, how long does the rash last? My wifey has an allergy to all ivy and some scrub trees I took down had English Ivy on them. She touched them and had a reaction. Maybe you are having an allergic reaction to something that was on the log, perhaps...???

Last edited:
It looks like little tiny bumps....and it's red. The way I notice is I start itching! The itching goes away. Yes, perhaps there was something ON this log that is doing it and it's happening because I am carrying the round. Makes sense because I am only getting the rash on the part of my arms in contact. Good analysis!

Reactions: HisTreeNut
Thanks! My wifey has a couple of allergies and we have to be careful about things.
A couple of things to get it off your arms:
1) Ivarest works pretty well if you have some.
2) Yellow Dial bar soap also works well (has to be yellow...something to do with the dye)
3) Make a thin paste with baking soda and carefully wash with it (baking soda can be irritating to sensitive skin).
All three will help with the itch. You may want to put on a long sleeve sweatshirt to do the rest of that log.
You might want to let those splits sit in a couple of rainstorms as well before you stack them.
Glad to help and I hope these remedies help also.

Looks like Beech

The oils from stuff like poison ivy or oak can stick around long after the plant is gone. As said above, there is a good chance that you are getting residual stuff on you as you work the wood.

Lots of info on this on woodworking forums, as those guys are routinely turning lumber to airborne dust. I learned that I have some respiratory allergy to cedar several years ago, when milling rails and stiles for some large patio doors, made of red cedar. Never bothered me as much outdoors with a chainsaw or splitter, tho.

X2 on the beech, I do know that European Beech is listed as a sensitizer, and the most common reaction is skin related, usually an annoying rash. I couldn't find anything on American Beech, but I would assume there is probably enough of a similarity between the two for some kind of cross sensitivity. Kinda like coming into contact with the nuts from an English or a Black walnut.

Black walnut??? I'm one of those guys allergic to just about everything, but I gather black walnuts by the tractor load, with no reaction. They do stain the crap out of your skin and clothes, tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.