Almost 5 years worth of wood c/s/s...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patch53

Dec 10, 2009
UP of Michigan
Well, I finished the last of my tractor trailer load of oak I got in late February. After everything was c/s/s I came up with about 21 cords for the tractor/trailer load. I paid for 20 cords, but I thought I actually got quite a bit more. Someone posted a while ago that when measuring log length wood, you should use 160 sq ft for 1 cord as opposed to 128 sq ft. That seems about right. I had measured the truck and trailer load and came up with around 25+ cords, but when everything was piled up, I came up with 21 cords.

All together now I have 27 cord... 12 cords in the woodshed for the next 2 years and 15 cords piled out in the yard where it can "bake" all day in the sun and wind for the next 3 years ! Plus I still have a good 4 cords of white birch and red maple to take down around the property, and at my neighbors down the round. Should easily get me over 30 cords when its all done. I plan on scrounging up 4-5 cords a year from now on to keep the outside stacks full. Sure feels good to know my wood needs are done for the next 5 years !

Attachments

• oak 001.jpg
    oak 001.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 644
  • oak 010.jpg
    oak 010.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 671
  • oak 014.jpg
    oak 014.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 680
Good work! What type of stove are you filling with the wood? The splits look pretty long.

Yeah thanks, a lot of work indeed. 20+ cords in 6 weeks, glad its over.

Those splits are about 26-27" long on average. My Seton 130 will take a 28" wide chunk.

Pat

Holy crap that is a boatload of wood! That would last me nearly 10 yrs!! How'd you manage to get 20 cords cut, split and stacked in 2 months??? I am exhausted just looking at those pics! Wondering why you use so much wood every year, do you have a wood furnace?

Great work!

Ray

Excellent work Patch.

Nice work man! Thats a really nice BTU reserve.

raybonz said:
Wondering why you use so much wood every year, do you have a wood furnace?

Great work!

Ray

Sounds like he uses 6 a year, that doesn't sound bad, especially when you consider the location.

OOOHH OOOHH Do it again! Do it again! :cheese:

Wow, 20 cord in that short period of time makes me tired too. I still have 10 cord to finish from my 20 cord load I got last year.
You've obviously been crankin' on that. Excellentay!

Great work. Very pro-active.
What now - are you going to keep at storing more wood and start selling?
Will you stop buying and just keep scrounging to top off your supply?
Happy burning!

Good job, nice looking stacks, your a smart man to stay a few years ahead.

rdust said:
raybonz said:
Wondering why you use so much wood every year, do you have a wood furnace?

Great work!

Ray

Sounds like he uses 6 a year, that doesn't sound bad, especially when you consider the location.

I live in Southeast Mass. and use about 2.5-3 cord a yr. burning 24/7 and didn't realize it was that much colder there.. Sorry about that!

Ray

raybonz said:
I live in Southeast Mass. and use about 2.5-3 cord a yr. burning 24/7 and didn't realize it was that much colder there.. Sorry about that!

Ray

I'm in south east Michigan and I'll use 4+ when it's all said and done. Of course my wife works from home and keeps the house 80* when I'm away. :lol: It's always hard to compare usage due to home style, size, insulation level etc.

Thanks guys, I cut a tank of gas about every other day. I can cut about a cord on one tank. Then split for an hour, and then stack for about 45 minutes. Some days I would double-up and do about 2 cords and then take a few days off, depending how I felt when I was done. Only had about 60 chunks I couldn't split with the trusty ole True Temper 4 1/2 lb splitting maul, for those I borrowed my buddies hydra splittter. I wanted to get all this wood c/s/s before it got hot and the bugs came out, I guess I made it with a little time to spare.

I'm in the process of building an ATV log Arch right now for future scrounging. I hope to be able come up with a minimum of 4-5 cords of scrounge wood annually. Like most of you guys, I wanted to get way ahead so I could somewhat "coast", but mainly to have a significant supply of dry wood. I burn about 6 cords/year, but I'm thinking it might be closer to 7 in colder winters, so I need to keep ahead with as much wood as I can find around here. Most of the white birch around here is dying. I have a lot of it and cut up at least 2-3 cords/year. The state is going to be doing a huge clear cut and red pine thinning behind my property this fall, so I should be able to scrape up a lot of tops, etc.

And fortunately we have no termintes here. LOL

Pat

Wow,
Seeing all the wood you guys have on hand starts to make me nervous and a bit excited. I just had my insert installed this past Thursday and I have no idea how much wood I will burn come winter. I know I won't be burning 24/7, but I want to get ahead for 11/12.
I currently have 2 cords c/s/s and have 1 more in rounds. I imagine three will probably do me fine for this year, but I plan to get at least 1 more cord as soon as I can.

Luckily, I hooked up with the a tree service who did some tree work for me last year and he gave me the key to his property where he dumps his wood and told me to take as much as I want. Kind of like hitting the free wood lottery. He has about an acre of land piled high with stuff he has taken down. The best part is its only on the other side of town, so if I have a couple hours free I can go get a truck load anytime I want. I definitely owe this guy a gift certificate to a nice restaurant at the very least.

Anyway, I enjoy looking at the pic's of the wood all stacked up neatly. My wife is starting to think I might be a little nuts 'cause I like to go outside and sit by the new stacks of wood. I'm sure many of you know the feeling.

Jaugust124 said:
Wow,
Seeing all the wood you guys have on hand starts to make me nervous and a bit excited. I just had my insert installed this past Thursday and I have no idea how much wood I will burn come winter. I know I won't be burning 24/7, but I want to get ahead for 11/12.
I currently have 2 cords c/s/s and have 1 more in rounds. I imagine three will probably do me fine for this year, but I plan to get at least 1 more cord as soon as I can.

Luckily, I hooked up with the a tree service who did some tree work for me last year and he gave me the key to his property where he dumps his wood and told me to take as much as I want. Kind of like hitting the free wood lottery. He has about an acre of land piled high with stuff he has taken down. The best part is its only on the other side of town, so if I have a couple hours free I can go get a truck load anytime I want. I definitely owe this guy a gift certificate to a nice restaurant at the very least.

Anyway, I enjoy looking at the pic's of the wood all stacked up neatly. My wife is starting to think I might be a little nuts 'cause I like to go outside and sit by the new stacks of wood. I'm sure many of you know the feeling.

Talk about " WOW" ! You've got an acre load of free wood only minutes from your house. I'd be over there everyday after work until that acre of wood covered an acre of my property ! LOL That is an amazing deal for you. make sure that guy gets a case of beer occassionally and yeah, a gift certificate once a while to boot.

yeah, you definitely need to start getting that free wood c/s/s for at least a few years ahead, you'll be glad you did.

Pat

Well, that's pure wood heaven! Nice work - definitely smart AND saves some major $ over buying c/s. You'll be burning some beatifully seasoned wood that cost you a lot less. +1 on the reply post who likes to sit by his stacks and gaze........Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.