Almost a woodshed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
The lumber yard ran out of roofing, so this is as far as I could get this weekend, but it's almost there. I still need to put in the center partition. For this winter, the shed will also house the splitter and lawn tractor on one side. It's 8' x 16', 6' at the back and 8' at the front. If I stacked it to the gills, I could get 7 cords in there, but that prolly won't happen in my lifetime unless the wood fairy blesses us with lots of free wood.

Attachments

• woodshed1.jpg
    woodshed1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,095
  • woodshed2.jpg
    woodshed2.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,149
It's an absolute beauty, BG, nice job! Mine's almost ready for the "finished" pics...coming soon to a forum near you...maybe tomorrow. Well done. Rick

Very nice job BG! The more I look at yours the more mine looks like a pile of tooth picks..I really like how you set your posts.

Thanks. I will say it's rock solid. Everything is bolted together and braced. The posts are on adjustable anchors which made if really easy to tweak the levels. My wife gave the seal of approval today, she likes the latticework.

BeGreen said:
Thanks. I will say it's rock solid. Everything is bolted together and braced. The posts are on adjustable anchors which made if really easy to tweak the levels. My wife gave the seal of approval today, she likes the latticework.

I never thought of the adjustible anchors...Plus you can also tell the tax man that its not a perminint structure....HUM good thinking!

Very nice BeGreen. You will have an enjoyable winter getting your wood this year. Always nice to get the wife's approval.

Excellent!..I’ll have too copy it before your paten is approved. :)

That's excellent!

I was thinking about trying to do the ugly, more poorly constructed version of that myself, with solar panels on the top ;) (my house faces east-west, so no panels for me up there)

Nice job indeed!
Did you use Cedar?
It almost looks like you did.
The lattice work is a nice addition for air flow.

7 cords huh?
That is about the same dimensions as mine and I figured 5 cords. Perhaps my math is fuzzy.

Wolves-Lower said:
7 cords huh?
That is about the same dimensions as mine and I figured 5 cords. Perhaps my math is fuzzy.
8x16x1 is one cord, and since the roof slopes from 8' to 6' high, the average height is 7', so 7 cords.

(or, stacked 4' high, you've got four cords "on the ground", and then another 3 by filling it up to the roof)

You've got it Jay. Truth be told 5 cords will likely be the most it will ever see.

W-L, It's built out of doug-fir, though the lattice is cedar. The roof is corrugated, galvanized metal.

Wow!! very nice BG. You could almost live in that structure. How many cords do you burn in a typical season?

Thanks sonny, it might get a bit drafty in the winter, but fine during the summer. Typical season, what's that? During el Nino, 2 cords, during this la Nina cycle, almost 3.

Ahhh Fir...good wood fir is (insert Yoda Accent here)
Well 7 cords is good news for me then. I just got done re-claiming lots of flood wood and she is full to the brim.
It would be fun to know how much in % I actually recovered.
I smoke a pipe, always outdoors, and in the Winter or when it is raining you can find me in the Wood Shed.

A quick question,
How windy does it get where it is located?
I see you have 2X6 roof rafters which is great, but do you think the metal roof will be anchored good enough?
I actually added some to mine because of the winds.

Good question about the roof. The answer is, I don't know. The shed faces north and has the garage sheltering it about 20 feet away. The back of the shed faces south. Our prevailing strong winter winds come from the southwest, but there is a large hillside behind the shed that usually shelters our property from the strong blasts, so I'm hoping it will be fine. But I could be wrong and it wouldn't be the first time.

I built the shed large enough so that I can be splitting wood out of the rain if need be. We'll see how it works out.

Very nice job! Very solid lookin and will last a very long time.

SWEET! :coolsmile:

Looks nice BG.
I have to say though, You don't have sheet for support for that roofing.
Me personally, I would have run horizontal lats (2"x4" size) every 12" across those rafters. Then faster the metal roofing to it.
With any type of good wind or snow load, those unsupported seams will sag & leak.
She does look nice though.

BeGreen said:
Thanks sonny, it might get a bit drafty in the winter, but fine during the summer. Typical season, what's that? During el Nino, 2 cords, during this la Nina cycle, almost 3.

Ah yes, heat pump? ground source or air source? and the backup is? just wondering, cause if I still can`t convince the better half for another insert, then maybe something else, even though we only have 100 amp service.

Hogwildz said:
Looks nice BG.
I have to say though, You don't have sheet for support for that roofing.
Me personally, I would have run horizontal lats (2"x4" size) every 12" across those rafters. Then faster the metal roofing to it.
With any type of good wind or snow load, those unsupported seams will sag & leak.
She does look nice though.

I'll compromise and will add them so that every 2 ft. is supported. Thanks for the tip!

Snow, what's that? :)

sonnyinbc said:
BeGreen said:

Ah yes, heat pump? ground source or air source? and the backup is? just wondering, cause if I still can`t convince the better half for another insert, then maybe something else, even though we only have 100 amp service.

You could definitely put our heatpump on a 100 amp circuit if you didn't have the electrical coils for backup heat. It runs at less than 20 amps.

An aesthetic triumph.

But - if I were using that shed, the lattice work wouldn't last one season, befopre a chunk busted right thru during stackin or moving wood.

Mine is lined with plywood for toughness. The open end plus the gap under the eaves in the rear offers sufficient air circulation. ( although your design is optimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.