Almost at capacity...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
Made my wood racks out of my fence last year, and have been filling it up. I have about 3/4 cord dry wood for this season; pleasantly surprised that it's about 15-17% on the 3 splits that I checked. I *think* it's 2yo oak. The stack that I think was css last year is at 25%. Elm, oak, and maple is the new stuff from this year. New years resolutions will be to keep track of what is where, and how much I actually burn. I may have to confiscate another 1/2 or so of yard...
Now I'll search this thread next year and figure out what's what.

2016-11-15 12.20.31.jpg 2016-11-15 12.20.46.jpg

Reactions: Handsonautotech
What about an aptly placed wood shed.

Made my wood racks out of my fence last year, and have been filling it up. I have about 3/4 cord dry wood for this season; pleasantly surprised that it's about 15-17% on the 3 splits that I checked. I *think* it's 2yo oak. The stack that I think was css last year is at 25%. Elm, oak, and maple is the new stuff from this year. New years resolutions will be to keep track of what is where, and how much I actually burn. I may have to confiscate another 1/2 or so of yard...
Now I'll search this thread next year and figure out what's what.

View attachment 188199 View attachment 188200

Looks good, some tall stacks there. Don't forget to cover it.

Looks good, some tall stacks there. Don't forget to cover it.
Ya know, I've never covered my stacks. Always meant to. I've got either 2 (maybe it's 3) year old oak at 15%, so it doesn't seem strictly necessary. Wondering if anyone has done a real comparison, with part covered/part not, all else being equal...

Reactions: Handsonautotech
Ya know, I've never covered my stacks. Always meant to. I've got either 2 (maybe it's 3) year old oak at 15%, so it doesn't seem strictly necessary. Wondering if anyone has done a real comparison, with part covered/part not, all else being equal...

It is not an option where I live unless I want to dig through a few feet of snow to find my wood. With the covers I can pull them off and the snow falls down to the ground, or in the case of my shed where I store the current months worth, the snow lands on the roof. I have read others say that in an area that receives light to moderate rain it does not make too much of a difference, but given enough rain the wood could soak it back in and become wet again.

I have been reading "The Firewood Handbook" by Vincent Thurkettle and he makes a good case for covering the wood if you want to use it this season.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1845336704/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Status
Not open for further replies.