Almost caught back up!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
Finished up a little over a cord of white ash and split some nice chunks of white oak I cut a month or so back. I figure I'll be able to burn the white oak by 2015 or so. ;) I have a few pieces of some junk wood to split tomorrow then I have to clean up the mess again. Splitting the ash left a mess due to it being dead and all the bark falling off.

Ash is the fresh wood on the end
P9260100.jpg

Oak
P9260092.jpg

P9260094.jpg

P9260098.jpg

Oak was a street tree
P9260097.jpg

Very nice I have the same splitter and saw

Very nice. I like your 17P cart. Near miss with the nails.

Looks like the Endeavor will eat good this winter.

smokinj said:
Very nice I have the same splitter and saw

Bought the splitter new, the saw is well used. I picked it up for a pretty good deal though and then put a new cylinder, piston and ring in it, I have 350 wrapped up in it if I remember right.

LLigetfa said:
Very nice. I like your 17P cart. Near miss with the nails.

The cart is handy to have, wife didn't understand why it had to be JD. Hey some people need name brand shoes and clothes, I need name brand yard equipment! "Can't we just paint a cheaper one green??" She said the same thing when I bought my JD GT 225 garden tractor. I knew the nails were there since I seen the stains in the wood, a couple other pieces were stained but I didn't go searching for the nails.

Todd said:
Looks like the Endeavor will eat good this winter.

It will if I ever get my chimney finished! It's like being dressed for a night on the town with no where to go! :lol:

Nice stacks, ain't good at single stackin yet, fraid I might squish the offspring.

Nice stacks. Clean lawn around them - that's tidy. I see you are a bark-up man.
I like the size of your splits. I used to have my splits too large - for all those "overnighters". I've gone to 5" or so across.
Happy burning.

Birdman1 said:
Nice stacks, ain't good at single stackin yet, fraid I might squish the offspring.

Thanks. I haven't had any fall over yet, the one next to the ash has a pretty good lean going and might tumble soon. Still deciding if I should let it fall or have fun knocking it over. :)

maplewood said:
Nice stacks. Clean lawn around them - that's tidy. I see you are a bark-up man.
I like the size of your splits. I used to have my splits too large - for all those "overnighters". I've gone to 5" or so across.
Happy burning.

Thanks. I've kinda let the lawn go around the stacks, when the summer started out I kept it nice and clean, with all the rain we've had I've gotten sick of keeping up. The bark doesn't "have" to be bark up but I try to keep most of it that way, I'm not anal about it though. I keep my splits smaller then the beam on my splitter, the beam is 6" so if it is bigger it gets split again. I try to make a good variety of split sizes since this is my first year with the stove and I don't know what it's going to like.

Good job rdust. Now is the time to get that chimney ready. You'll be a happy camper this winter and then your wife will see the benefit of all that work you've done this summer.

rdust said:
"Can't we just paint a cheaper one green??" She said the same thing when I bought my JD GT 225 garden tractor.
Ha ha ha! That's funny! Mrs. Quads always says things like that too.

Backwoods Savage said:
Now is the time to get that chimney ready

You have that right! I plan to order a liner this week and hopefully get it installed next weekend.

This is going to start cutting into my hunting time and that's not gonna make me happy. I did manage to find time to get my tree stand out of my dead tree today though! I can't believe Thursday is already the 1st and I still haven't pulled my bow back!

That looks like about a cord per stack, great job. The wood on the far end seems like it has aged for while.

Still too warm here to go hunting for me, a few guys out there but I wait until it cools off. Too many bugs out there now.

Get the chimney done and you will be one warm and happy camper this winter.

Very nice set up you got there!
I used some old wood flooring I had lying around and built some sides for my JD cart (little bro 10P). It makes a great wood hauler. I load it up and pull it right in the garage it holds a few days worth of wood! Got a small load of shoulder wood on there now just in case we get a cold night.

Attachments

• cart.JPG
    cart.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 265
rdust said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Now is the time to get that chimney ready

You have that right! I plan to order a liner this week and hopefully get it installed next weekend.

This is going to start cutting into my hunting time and that's not gonna make me happy. I did manage to find time to get my tree stand out of my dead tree today though! I can't believe Thursday is already the 1st and I still haven't pulled my bow back!

Whoa! You haven't pulled that bow back yet?!!!!! Don't you realize that is a punishable crime in Michigan? Rdust, you need some counselling for sure.

Sadly, I too am a bit behind on getting ready for season but at least I've found some time to do some shooting now and then. Hopefully I can get some insulating done yet this week so I can hunt. But, early season I usually don't hunt all day so there is still time to get some things done before the cold sets in.

Bubbavh said:
I used some old wood flooring I had lying around and built some sides for my JD cart (little bro 10P). It makes a great wood hauler. I load it up and pull it right in the garage it holds a few days worth of wood! Got a small load of shoulder wood on there now just in case we get a cold night.

This is how I do it as well. I also have a rack that holds a cord looks like the same jd aswell mines the 135

smokinj said:
Bubbavh said:

This is how I do it as well. I also have a rack that holds a cord looks like the same jd aswell mines the 135
LA120 I put a 3rd garage door on the side of the garage when I built it just so I wouldn't have to move the cars to get the toys out! Sure is nice to be able to just pull it in. I try to keep my wood handling to a minimum and this sure helps! I also have a half cord rack I keep in there too. Just in case we get a big storm that would strand the JD in the garage more than a few days.

Bubbavh said:
smokinj said:
Bubbavh said:

LA120 I put a 3rd garage door on the side of the garage when I built it just so I wouldn't have to move the cars to get the toys out! Sure is nice to be able to just pull it in. I try to keep my wood handling to a minimum and this sure helps! I also have a half cord rack I keep in there too. Just in case we get a big storm that would strand the JD in the garage more than a few days.

yes it is, I put a back door on but just use the garage as a shop my trunk is a 93 s-10 so it can freeze to death

smokinj said:
Bubbavh said:
smokinj said:
Bubbavh said:

yes it is, I put a back door on but just use the garage as a shop my trunk is a 93 s-10 so it can freeze to death
I don't care if my car freezes. I just hate scraping them Darn windows and clearing the snow off! But if it's one or the other carrying wood trumps scraping windows!

Status
Not open for further replies.