Almost cold enough for a fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could almost light a fire tonight...but it's a little warm even with all the windows open. Low of 58 degrees overnight. Low of 52 on Friday and Saturday nights!!!!

Go for it.

Go for it.

I know. I should. My glass is so clean and stove are so clean. It's tempting. I could burn alot less fuel if I didn't prematurely burn shoulder season weather. This isn't even shoulder season. It's more like an intermittent cold snap...but I love it

I broke down and split some stacked wood. Threw in a couple small splits on top of a Supercedar and some scrap pine lumber. What a gorgeous sound I missed. Crackling and popping!!

No offense, I saw this post in "whats new" and had to chuckle. My central A/C is still running and the nite time lows are still 72 here.

It was 56 here this morning as well, made for a cool ride in to work on the scooter. House was still 73 from the day before so no chance of needing heat quite yet. Sometime in September we'll start into it.

I nstalled a new insert this summer and last Thursday I had to do the ol beak in fire and I just had to have another on Friday as well to play with the new toy.
I cant wait to run this baby full bore in cold temp, I think everyone that loves burning wood is getting the itch.

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 134
We talked about it the other night too. Chilly breeze off the lake, but the stove is all clean...we just shut the windows and it wasn't really cold enough to warrent making a mess in the stove...

This summer has been so hot and dry that it may be November before I feel like making it warmer in my house.

I would open the windows, and welcome some 50 degree weather after this hot and humid summer.

It's 62::F inside and not getting warmer. I just lit the stove.
Go for it. It's there to keep you warm , not collect dust.

Down to 73 outside at ten o'clock and with the sudden shift to low humidity it feels chilly outside. Been that kind of summer.

It's 62::F inside and not getting warmer. I just lit the stove.
Go for it. It's there to keep you warm , not collect dust.

I have a beautiful secondary going in the firebox. Wow! I missed this view so much over the last 3 months since last firing. Even if I have to wait another couple weeks till I can burn regularly, it was well worth lighting tonight just for that alone.

Reactions: etiger2007
It wont be long boys. I've been burning a fire every 4 days for hot water so all I have to do for heat is turn a few flow valves.

It'll come soon enough. AC's running right now. Humidity still abounds.

But the acorns & leaves are already falling, and the horses are shedding out their summer coats (that's scarey unto itself considering it's August).

I'm ordering 2 more loads of firewood, just to be on the safe side.

I try not to rush the seasons . . . we're still swimming here in Maine and running the air conditioning. Fall will be here soon enough . . .

For the record . . . I've already seen a swamp maple (typically red maple) turn color in a low-lying area.

I know it's about time to burn because there are stoves in my Menards Flyer. A good deal on Pellets and on their Pressed Bricks. Not horrible deals on a couple of Drolet stoves and even a reasonable Secondary equipped "Stove that must not be named"

Yup, I'll be lighting up pretty soon, i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.