ALmost done with Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

machinistbcb

Nov 21, 2007
Sabattus Maine
Well, I am almost done with my install I have everything piped in and I just finished instaling the chimney today. All I need to do tommorow is make a cap for an open pipe flange on top of the storage tank. See the pictures below. Note my expansion tanks set-up, they came out of an old elmentary school boiler room and were already set-up with sight gauges and all. Does anybody have any advice for start-up? Whats the best way to fill the storage tank as far as try to bleed all the air out ? Also should I close the valve on the expasion tank until I have the whole system filled and all the air bleed out ?

Brian

Attachments

• DSCF1085.JPG
    DSCF1085.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 586
More pics.......

Attachments

• DSCF1087.JPG
    DSCF1087.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 530
  • DSCF1088.JPG
    DSCF1088.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 525
  • DSCF1097.JPG
    DSCF1097.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 532
  • DSCF1099.JPG
    DSCF1099.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 508
Nice set up. I would reorient the cement blocks under the x tanks. They are not in the strength position. Not certain on charging the system though. I am sure the pros know the answer.
Will

Losen the uppermost connection on the tank and slowly fill it until the air stops coming out. Same at the boiler and any radiation above this level. An auto air purger would be nice to remove additional air and gasses as the water heats up. Air and gases will continue to come out of solution as you heat the water.

You may want a way to add air to those tanks as the air bubble will slowly move to the fluid. This is why bladder tanks are so common these days. I'd install a gauge and schrader valve down stream of that shut off to the compression tanks, to monitor and maintain the air bubble.

Will you insulate all those tanks? there will be considerable heat loss from all that surface area when things heat up

hr

I plan to heavily insulate the storage tank. Is it nessacary to insulate the expansion tanks ?

Don't forget to test for water pH and treat accordingly. An O2 scavenger would help also, but since a closed system, not likely to be a big issue. The pH likely is a bigger issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.