Almost forgot the pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Had good intentions this morning and planned on several pictures and a video or two. We were almost done doing six gallons when I thought about the pictures so hurriedly grabbed the camera to get just a couple. However, there will be more cider pressing this fall so maybe I'll remember to take more then.

Cider-a.JPG Cider-B.JPG Cider-C.JPG

I like it! Nothing better than apple cider. So looking at your pics, you grind up in the black box, then to the press. Whats the procedure and where do you go after pressing? Special recipe?

Yes, the black box is the chopper and the pulp goes into the tub. When it is full, the mesh bag is folded over at the top and that wooden plate is placed on top. Then you begin turning the screw. As you get the pulp squeezed a bit, then we put the 4 x 4 on to assist in turning because it begins to turn really had. Generally, you screw down by hand until it gets hard turning then wait a bit as the juice comes out. Then put the handle on and screw it down more and wait a bit until you get no more juice. Then unscrew it, remove the wood plate and lift the bag of puip. Dump that into a barrel or bucket and start the process all over again.

After pressing, you start drinking! We have no special recipies and just enjoy drinking it. I like to wait on most of it until it just starts to get some tang to the taste but also like it fresh. For freezing, we do not fill the jugs to the top but leave some room. Place in freezer but leave the cap a bit loose and it freezes well so you can enjoy cider all winter long if you have the room.

Nice. I see pears too in the pic, are u juicing them as well? Thx for the tutorial. I wish I had apple trees here at the house, but we do at the shack, so I may need to look into a press.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Looks like a brand new press there, Dennis. Reminds me of those being used here in the northeast as a wine press. Going to make a little Apple Jack?

Dennis, sure looks good. You must have to dodge a few yellow jackets while that process is going on. A few fresh cinnamon donuts would make that a really fine finish. Enjoy

I love homemade hard cider....are you going to allow any to "work", Dennis?
Years ago when I worked in Harrisburg, PA, I bought 2 gallons of unpasteurized homemade cider from one of the truck drivers where I worked (they had a farm and he made it every autumn), anyway I was working on 3rd trick at the time and when I got back to my condo early the next morning, I forgot about the cider in my car. Well, turned out to be a very warm fall day that day, and when I went out to my car later that afternoon to go to the gym, BOTH JUGS HAD EXPLODED IN THE CAR!! Smelled like alcohol for months in that car...

;lol oh wow

Great seasonal pics Dennis. Let us know more about the press when you get a minute. I'm curious, my wife and I would love that....

Nice. I see pears too in the pic, are u juicing them as well? Thx for the tutorial. I wish I had apple trees here at the house, but we do at the shack, so I may need to look into a press.

The pears were the idea of our neighbor. We did not put any in our cider but he just wanted to try it. He had heard that some commercial orchards put some pears in their cider. That may be but I'd never heard of it and I don't like pears anyway.

Looks like a brand new press there, Dennis. Reminds me of those being used here in the northeast as a wine press. Going to make a little Apple Jack?

How is the best way to do that Al?

Yes, it is new. A neighbor and I bought the hardware then cut and finished the wood ourselves. That was a year ago last January and, of course, last year we had no apples. Sometimes Mother Nature can throw you a curve ball when you aren't expecting it.

Reactions: NortheastAl
Dennis, sure looks good. You must have to dodge a few yellow jackets while that process is going on. A few fresh cinnamon donuts would make that a really fine finish. Enjoy

Rotti, that is normally the case but we have not seen even one this fall.

Reactions: NortheastAl
Great seasonal pics Dennis. Let us know more about the press when you get a minute. I'm curious, my wife and I would love that....

As I stated above, we purchased the hardware. www.happyvalleyranch.com Then we built the press during the winter months a year ago. It was quite a project and because of the cost that is why we went together to do this project. There are only a couple things we will change and the main one will be the addition of an electric motor for the chopper. Cranking that thing gets to be work!

Not sure how much we'll be making this year but we've had offers for probably 100 bushel of apples. Sorry, there won't be that much made!!! We are planning on freezing some but because we had such a good fruit year this year, we don't have too much room left and we have 2 freezers plus the one in the refrigerator. Well, that is not such a bad problem to have!

How is the best way to do that Al?

Yes, it is new. A neighbor and I bought the hardware then cut and finished the wood ourselves. That was a year ago last January and, of course, last year we had no apples. Sometimes Mother Nature can throw you a curve ball when you aren't expecting it.
From what I remember my dad telling me, you crush the apples and let them sit in a plastic garbage can with a lid and leave it outside to ferment. When it gets cold and freezes, what can be poured off is high octane AppleJack. I think it is a higher alcohol content than hard cider. I guess you wouldn't start the process till about late Sept. or October, though.

I just looked it up to see if I recollected correctly, and sure enough the process is explained on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applejack_(beverage)

Btw, Dennis, you guys did a spectacular job building the press. I looked at the pics again and it looks better than any commercially built one I've ever seen.

I just showed Dennis' pics to my wife. She's looking into it ( oh boy) wonder what this will run us?

it is not cheap Oslo but well worth it. The cost is why we decided to split with a neighbor.

Status
Not open for further replies.