almost got duped..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailblaze

Aug 20, 2008
South West PA
called on some firewood today... it was a mix of oak, cherry, maple, etc...

guy told me $325 for 2.5 cords of wood delivered!! I was VERY excited... so i asked "how big is your dump truck...it might not make it to my wood spot"

he was like " i have a 1 ton chevy dump with a 10 foot bed and 4 foot sides"

i got to thinking.... 10x4x5 (given the dump is 5 foot wide, might be a stretch?) = 200 cu.ft. which is around 1- 1/2 cords? and that would be tightly stacked!! just dumped off a skid loader into the bed might leave you on the heavy side of 1 cord

plus!!! 1.5 cords would weigh over the 1 ton capacity...and 2.5 cords would have to weigh atleast 3 ton....and this wood was only 5 months seasoned

or am i totally wrong? i'm not running on all cylinders today!! was this guy blowin smoke?

Most trucks can hold quite a bit more than their "ton" description (I think)....I remember putting a ton in my 1/2 tons F150s.

But, still, for it to be 2.5 cords, that would mean about FOUR TONS or more. It sounds like it is as you say - 1 1/2 cords at the most.

Bed is probably more like 7' wide making for 280 cu ft. without topping off, some dumps are 8 ft wide, he could hold 2 1/2 cords easily space wise, weight wise, I have seen plenty of dump trucks that size hold that weight, probably its 3 0r 4 ton truck not 1 ton,

You really don't know until you get the total dimensions of his truck. Maybe it's 10x8x4= 2.5 cords stacked? Or maybe he's thinking more than one trip? Ask if you can go check out the wood first and check out his truck while your at it.

Blaze, I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand until you get some more information. If it turns out to be near what he claims, it sounds like a decent deal. Find out the actual dimensions of the truck, and ask how he loads it, then you'll have a lot better and more complete info on which to base your decision. Rick

The dump beds are 7' 3" wide but i have a LCF45 16000gvw and it would sink my truck 2.5 cord is over 9000 lbs if its very dry . I dont think he could dump 2.5 cord .but stack it and ask when he will bring the rest of the wood.

9,000lbs is what I'm thinking it would weigh. If you look at the charts the lightest wood are 2200 a cord and oak is @ 4000 a cord.

SCFA said:
he was blowing smoke. always ask about the truck size etc before ordering.

I asked that once and was told "it's a big truck...it has a lot of gears"!!!!!

Ken

Depending on how he loads it, you may be getting 2.5 cords. Like the others have suggested, it wouldn't hurt to go check out the wood on the ground before it's loaded in the truck. If it's stacked, you could measure it. I just got a dump truck load--granted the walls of the dump truck that delivered my load were higher than 4 feet. The truck was loaded to the gills. I've been processing the mountain of wood it dumped for 5-5 1/2 hours each day for the past 3 days and can't see much progress in shrinking the pile in my driveway. (Most pieces are 3-5 ft in length and I'm having to cut, split with an axe and then stack.) I think I've got about 41/2 cords, given how much is left for me to cut and split. (I'm just shy of having cut and split 2 cords--I'm at 240 cf.) I certainly can attest to the accuracy of the old saying that wood warms you 3 times--when you cut it, when you split it and when you burn it.

the guy lives semi-close... maybe i'll stop and take a look at his truck.. and the wood

thing is the guy told me it's seasoned about 5 months.... which probably won't cut it in my DW "neverburn" this season ......but would be nice for next year!!

Status
Not open for further replies.