Almost had a great deal.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianN

Feeling the Heat
Aug 30, 2012
Central BC
So, as spring is around the corner, my time is getting closer to where I can rip out this pellet stove and put in a wood stove.
I have been shopping around, getting prices on a few different makes and sizes of stoves.
One in particular price I was so happy about was a blaze king - King, Ultra. Coming in at around the $4200 mark. That is including every thing from the pedestal up to the roof cap.
As it turns out, the quote that I got was wrong. The salesman was no longer allowed to give me the discounts he was giving me (I was getting every thing for cost plus 10%) but, as of Feb. 1. he was no longer able to do that, but, no one told him.
So, now the price has gone up to just over $6000.
My question is, should I hold him, and the store to that quote? I would love to, and, legally, I think that I am able to. The problem is, my wife works at that store, and I am wondering if management may try to make her work life harder there.
I have gotten quotes on other stoves (complete, from stove to rain cap) for a little less, including install.
One stove is an Enerzone 3.4 cu/ft. Again, from stove to rain cap. With this stove, they will actually drive an hour to my house and install it. All for around the $4000 mark.
I guess my question is, should I fight for the blaze king and the quote that I was given? Should I just pay the extra $1800? Or, should I go for the second choice?
I know it is hard to say what some one else should do, but, what would you do?
The extra $1800 isn't going to bankrupt me, and, I will still have food on the table, but, I have never installed a stove before???
Thanks for any help, and advice.

Well sounds like a honest mistake on their part..would be diff it it was already installed or maybe even paid for but not installed.
Good luck whatever you do!

The fact that your wife works there they should stick with the deal but obviously they don't think so. You are between a rock and a hard spot! I think they should at the very least give you a better deal than full price.

The fact that your wife works there they should stick with the deal but obviously they don't think so. You are between a rock and a hard spot! I think they should at the very least give you a better deal than full price.
my wife works in a hospital...lab tech..but I still did not get a break on my operation..but I did get upgraded to a private room for free!

Reactions: Beer Belly
Let it go... some battles are worth fighting but this does not sound like one. If you made a deposit and signed a contract you might pursue it but lacking those it is a he said she said game and all it can do is cause your wife a problem. It is kind of sad they did not offer an employee discount though..

I'd push them on it a little but not make a scene with the wife working there and all. My thought is that at 4200 they were still making a profit and at 6k they are really doing well. Maybe you can meet in the middle somewhere and they will still make a nice profit.

If its not a deal breaker you will be happier in the long run with the stove you really want.

Reactions: Ashful
+1
Cost +10% was the employee discount, but now it's not?
It's not like they would lose $ on that deal.
Sounds like they are just a-holes. Trying to negotiate with a-holes usually isn't worth the time/hassle.

. . .I know it is hard to say what some one else should do, but, what would you do?
I would tell them that they are a-holes and go work somewhere that would give me a discount, but I know this may not be possible for you and the Mrs.

Reactions: milleo
Alright. Excellent. Thanks for all your input.
It is a written quote, printed out on company letterhead. But, that being said, we are not going to push it. My wife is going to go and show her boss the quote, and if nothing is said or done, we will leave it at that. I told her not to push it too far, as we do not want to see any one get in trouble over this. Just not worth it.

Reactions: chvymn99
+1
Cost +10% was the employee discount, but now it's not?
It's not like they would lose $ on that deal.
Sounds like they are just a-holes. Trying to negotiate with a-holes usually isn't worth the time/hassle.

I would tell them that they are a-holes and go work somewhere that would give me a discount, but I know this may not be possible for you and the Mrs.

It was the employee discount, but, in a meeting they had yesterday, they found out that they get other incentives. So, the cost +10% is gone. They definitely would not lose money on the deal.
Oh well, back to finding the stove I want for the price I want to pay.

Reactions: chvymn99
Alright. Excellent. Thanks for all your input.
It is a written quote, printed out on company letterhead. But, that being said, we are not going to push it. My wife is going to go and show her boss the quote, and if nothing is said or done, we will leave it at that. I told her not to push it too far, as we do not want to see any one get in trouble over this. Just not worth it.
I hope they do you right, it will make a few people feel better for their fellow man if they treat you right.

Reactions: ddddddden
Why are not these "other" incentives, not passed along on the stove price?

Why are not these "other" incentives, not passed along on the stove price?

The incentives come in the form of pay raises, bigger bonus checks at the end of the year, bonus for attendance... and a few other things.

Ah, well tell the lil mrs to tuck away those incentives for the new stove. Good luck with that too....

Reactions: PapaDave
The incentives come in the form of pay raises, bigger bonus checks at the end of the year, bonus for attendance... and a few other things.
All of those incentives sound great, but which one is supposed to make you want to buy a stove from them?;)

I'd be a little cheezed with a written quote in my hand, but I understand the situation. But still, a full 60% markup? With a mistake on their salesman's part? Bad juju for them.

How much chimney is there? Any other BK dealers in the area? $4200 is killer, but I don't think $6k would be hard to beat.

So, as spring is around the corner, my time is getting closer to where I can rip out this pellet stove and put in a wood stove.
I have been shopping around, getting prices on a few different makes and sizes of stoves.
One in particular price I was so happy about was a blaze king - King, Ultra. Coming in at around the $4200 mark. That is including every thing from the pedestal up to the roof cap.
As it turns out, the quote that I got was wrong. The salesman was no longer allowed to give me the discounts he was giving me (I was getting every thing for cost plus 10%) but, as of Feb. 1. he was no longer able to do that, but, no one told him.
So, now the price has gone up to just over $6000.
My question is, should I hold him, and the store to that quote? I would love to, and, legally, I think that I am able to. The problem is, my wife works at that store, and I am wondering if management may try to make her work life harder there.
I have gotten quotes on other stoves (complete, from stove to rain cap) for a little less, including install.
One stove is an Enerzone 3.4 cu/ft. Again, from stove to rain cap. With this stove, they will actually drive an hour to my house and install it. All for around the $4000 mark.
I guess my question is, should I fight for the blaze king and the quote that I was given? Should I just pay the extra $1800? Or, should I go for the second choice?
I know it is hard to say what some one else should do, but, what would you do?
The extra $1800 isn't going to bankrupt me, and, I will still have food on the table, but, I have never installed a stove before???
Thanks for any help, and advice.
cost + 10% = 4200
cost is $3818
$2200 profit off an employee...
one of the benefits of working some where is usually getting discounts on stuff as an employee not pay full price or what the guy walking in off street pays, how often do employees buy stoves anyways and have installed at their own houses, its not like its something that you can easily resell or are having installed somewhere else

I would tell the wife to tell them you changed your mind and go elsewhere just on principle

they dont deserve to make $2200 off ya

They are being ***holes, take your business elsewhere. Any reputable company would stand behind a salesman's written quote, especially if they are not losing money. Shop around, $1800 is a whole lot of money to just "Oh well" it.

Wait until mid-summer when they are standing around the showrooms picking their noses. They don't have to offer deals now as people who are finally fed up with the oil/gas prices or upgrading their stoves are crawling out of the woodwork. My guys here offer 25% install parts, not labor, just the chimney parts and all sorts of incentives and rebates on stoves,hearth pads, blowers etc from Memorial Day thru July 4th. If you can wait until the summer, wait for the deals ;)

If it was a special offer, you should have a "price valid until- "X"-date" on the quote. If costs associated with the package are that volatile, there should be a " price valid for 30-45-60 days from quote" line . Other wise, if they won't work with you after only a month, go elsewhere.
I'm betting if you offer to go $500 over quoted price, it's a done deal.
I've honored 3-4 month old estimates because I forgot to add the time disclaimer.

I'd be a little cheezed with a written quote in my hand, but I understand the situation. But still, a full 60% markup? With a mistake on their salesman's part? Bad juju for them.

How much chimney is there? Any other BK dealers in the area? $4200 is killer, but I don't think $6k would be hard to beat.
It's a two storey house, so, 24 - 26 feet, as an estimate.
There is another BK dealer in town, I was going to go see today, but, too lazy to get out of the house. So, will go tomorrow. I haven't had much luck with them in the past, so, not holding my breathe on them.

cost + 10% = 4200
cost is $3818
one of the benefits of working some where is usually getting discounts on stuff as an employee not pay full price or what the guy walking in off street pays, how often do employees buy stoves anyways and have installed at their own houses, its not like its something that you can easily resell or are having installed somewhere else

I would tell the wife to tell them you changed your mind and go elsewhere just on principle

This isn't an actual stove/fireplace dealer. It is a local Co-op. So, I assume that they do not sell too many stoves here. I have lived here just over a year, and I see the same stoves sitting on their display as the first day I saw them.
The quote is in the managers hands right now. I should hear back today what is going to happen. Even if they raise it a bit, I will take it from them. If they stick with the $6000 quote, looks like I will be going elsewhere.

cost + 10% = 4200
cost is $3818

How would you know their internal costs without being privy to their books?

FWIW... I agree with the others who say to go elsewhere, on principle alone. I like that you asked the wife to discuss it with her boss, but unless they're going to offer to honor the original quote, I wouldn't haggle on it. Just go elsewhere, and be sure they know what's what you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.