Almost ready to start installing my Englander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

culberson_1425

Aug 6, 2012
Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've been on the forum, matter of fact it's only my second post.

But anyway, I've been planning a hearth for my new stove, an Englander 13-NC. I just wanted to describe what I've come up with to everyone and hear some of your thoughts.

First, the size of the hearth/floor protection. Englander suggested a minimum of size of 42" D by 41.25" W, giving 8" on the sides/back and 16" in front of the stove . I plan on setting the top in ceramic tile to match other tiled areas in my home so I increased it some to make life easier laying tile. My setup will be 49" D x 43.5" W. I am planning on setting the back of the hearth against a wall. I figure the added size can't hurt and it keep me cutting as few tiles as possible :) The hearth provides floor protection a little more than 8" on the sides and 17" in front of the stove. The back of the stove will have a heat shield and will be 12" away from combustibles per the instructions, and the sides are 19" away from combustibles. The 12" behind the stove will be tiled as well. With the stove being 12" away with a shield, I am not sure if I should just go ahead and tile the wall too. Even if it's not needed, it will probably look better.

The manual also calls for insulation under the stove with an R value of 2. Under the tile will be 1/4" hardibacker (R of .13). Under the backer board is 1" of Micore 160 fiber board (R of 2.54). Including the tile (R of .020), the total R value should be 2.69. Having more than 2 can't hurt I suppose. Underneath all this will be some 2x4 framing to raise the hearth from the floor about 4 3/4".

The chimney should be about 15.5" away from the wall with this set up. The planned chimney is a straight up and out type. Will single-wall pipe work from the stove to the ceiling? I've read that stove pipe should be 18" away from combustibles on horizontal runs, is this the same on a vertical run? And of course, anything above the ceiling/roof will be triple wall.

I have also contacted my local building department to check any local codes that apply to wood stoves. I was advised floor protection and stove placement will need inspected to make sure they meet the manufacturer's specs.

I am trying to make this as safe as possible and I apologize for all the numbers I've thrown out. I have always loved a fire but prior to this house, the only thing I've ever had is a fire place. At work, I am in and out of a lot of houses. I have seen a few stoves sitting on a manufactured stove board just laying on top of carpet. Another stove I saw was just sitting on plywood! I know this can't be safe.

Go with at least 1/2" cement board for the backer. You want rigidity here, tile grout is not very forgiving of flexing and a micore as a base is not very rigid. If I were building this I would be going with 3/4" plywood, then 1/2" of the Micore 160 and 1" (2 layers of 1/2") Durock NextGen cement board. That would be a lot stiffer.

Single wall pipe must be 18" away from any combustibles, horiz or vert.

I was wondering if it would be sturdy enough. Was thinking about including a section of 3/4" plywood on top of the 2x4's to set the fiber board and hardibacker on top of.

We were posting at the same time. Reread my post. 1/4" backerboard is insufficient. 3/4" plywood as a base is good.

I need more info about the installation. Is this a flat wall behind the stove or a corner installation? Single-wall or double-wall connector pipe?

If you can post a picture of the installation location that would be great.

It is a flat wall, I was planning on using single wall connector pipe because I cannot find double-walled readily available in my area. I will try to get a picture posted soon.

Whether you install a proper NFPA211 wall shield or just meet the clearance requirements for the stove is your call.

Double-wall pipe can be ordered from a number of sources including:

www.ventingpipe.com and www.dynamitebuys.com

As long as you have a tall enough chimney for decent draft, you'll be ok with single-wall. Just be sure to meet or exceed all clearance requirements for the stove and for the pipe. Describe the chimney that the stove is being connected to.

If you still want to shield the wall and tile the shield that's fine. There is no harm in exceeding requirements.

Overall height of the chimney will be around 15 feet tall. It will be 3ft above the roof and at least 2 ft higher than the nearest part of the roof within 10 ft. I've never handled stove pipe or triple wall chimney pipe before, does it go together fairly easy and straight forward? I want to make sure it doesn't leak

Single-wall stove pipe (connector pipe) cannot be closer than 18" from the nearest combustible material. A straight up and out flue configuration is as good as it gets, as far as draft and cleaning goes. If, in order to achieve that I had to bite the bullet and use double-wall from the stove to the ceiling support box, where the flue must transition to Class A chimney pipe for the rest of the vertical run to daylight...I would not hesitate. Really a small price to pay for all the benefits, IMO. Rick

Reactions: PapaDave
Status
Not open for further replies.