almost summer BUT....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtarbert

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2006
Maryland
OK....it's almost summer Friday when I was working I was sweating like a Rented Mule and now I have just started the wood stove. Weather man says it will be down in the low thirties tonight. Anyone else have their stove running? Thank God for the scraps from construction for the fuel.
Mike

our stove is in the basement, which is where we hang out. We are expecting lows in 30's tonight. I expect to need a fire in the morning. However, i opened the pool this weekend. Welcome to michigan!

Yeah it has been cloudy, damp and chilly all day here in Northern Virginia. But damn it I ain't starting that stove up again this year. We will just use the electric space heaters tonight. I have been about as entertained by wood burning as I care to be for this year.

A friend sent a picture yesterday as it was snowing like crazy. He is in upper Michigan. Here we are expecting another freeze tonight. The stove was going yet this morning. I just added a couple pieces to see if they would start and it appears they will so we'll be warm tonight. I hope this is the last fire this year but yet I doubt it.

Cold enough here that I was wearing winter cloths out today...including a goofy looking Elmer Fudd type hunting cap I picked up on a whim at TSC. No fire though...but I seriously thinking about it.

Almost 90°F here this afternoon. It won't stay this hot (in a few days we'll be back down in the high 60's), and it cools down nicely at night, but I really think I'm done burning for this year. Last fire was in the shop ~4 days ago. It's always so dry here that we can use the windows year round to vent the house if need be, which is a nice change from Northern Virginia. Since the completion of the major remod, the house is tighter, better insulated, and better protected from the afternoon sun than it's ever been. Starting to think about summertime stovepipe mods. Rick

I dont know whats wrong with me either, but since I ran my stove all winter, Spring is still too chilly for me. The thermistat says 65 and I still light a fire to warm up just a little. I'm usually outside in my shorts by now!! I guess I'm just used to being toasty now thanks to my new friend (Englander 13 ). :)

It was cold and windy here yesterday so I had a fire to take the chill off in the evening. I think I'm done burning, it's gota warm up, I refuse to burn after Memorial day.

Todd said:
It was cold and windy here yesterday so I had a fire to take the chill off in the evening. I think I'm done burning, it's gota warm up, I refuse to burn after Memorial day.

But you need to burn a lot to test that tee before it is out of warranty. :lol:

We have a frost warning for tonight. We covered the vegetable garden but I don't want to fire up the stove. I have it all cleaned out, wood supplies put away etc. I put my two girls in footed pjs and hold the wife to cuddle up.

We had frost warning last night also and had the stove going. But probably the last fire of the season.
The pontoon boat goes in the water tomorrow and summer is just around the corner.

Here's a new one for me. Weird weather in Chicago. Last night my kids asked if I would start a fire in the fire pit for them. It went down into the thirties overnight... So while they were sitting around the fire, I was sitting near the 400 degree stove inside. It was about 80 in the house when I went to bed! Two fires at a time. A new one for me.

Summer's comin' Tuesday.

If you look at the left coast temps, you can see what should be coming your way soon. It feels great to get outside in something less than a parka. Hope it hangs in there this year.

Well we did start a fire last night and it's still going too.

Fire yesterday morning to take off the chill . . . I shouldn't have loaded it up though . . . when my wife woke up around noon (she works overnight) it was about 80 degrees in the house . . . a bit too warm for me.

It was 38* last night. I can say, as a Florida native and someone that spent 5 years in Arizona, this is frickin' weird. I think Jersey needs to bring back some of those hairstyles that requires a lot of Aquanet so we can get this Global Warming thing kicked into high gear.

BrotherBart said:
Todd said:

But you need to burn a lot to test that tee before it is out of warranty. :lol:

Oh yeah, I better fill out that warantee card and send it out before I forget. :lol:

That cool air from the midwest is suppose to be over the northeast tonight.....we've got a frost advisory for the central part of Maine and a freeze warning for the northern part.

I expect to light up tonight! :coolsmile:

I built a small fire last night and this morning using some maple. When I went to the car this morning to head out to work, I turned on the wipers to push the condensation on the windshield out of the way, and it was frozen! I wasn't expecting that in the middle of May. We usually have our last cold snap around April 15th (sometimes a little later). It's supposed to be 44F in Nashville tonight, so we'll be several degrees cooler on the Plateau. Looks like another excuse to play with the Endeavor. ;-) I was so tempted to go back to sleep this morning in the recliner next to the stove. It was so warm and toasty, and the house was so still and quiet. The dogs were certainly enjoying the warmth, and I found myself quite jealous of them. However, cat napping by the stove aside, I'm ready for the heating season to end...for now.

If you look at the long range forecasts we should finally be done with this crap soon. The rain may persist, who knows but the long range outlook is for warm and mild. Hopefully till November. I shut the coalstove down about a month ago and have been just using the electric heat at night. Got my bill the other day. Actually wasnt too bad. 137.00

The forcast calls for 34 degrees tonight so I just fired up the insert for the first time in about 3-4 weeks. I picked some oak from next years pile and it seems to be seasoned nicely. What a nice treat!

Status
Not open for further replies.