Almost Time!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I never did grab this last year so I'll give myself until the end of August for this dead tree to make it in the stacks or for the fireplace outside.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2776.JPG
    100_2776.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 227
what is it zap?

elm?

"Cut no pine before it's time."

Well "basswood" nor "elm" fit . LOL :)

Hopefully onetracker is right. If it's elm, thats worth putting in the stacks for in the house. If it's basswood, I'd be using it outside or for the SS. One thing is for sure, if you get that thing cut and split soon, it'll definately be ready by late fall!

That will be a quick and easy job zap.

Sav you were in that area on the Rhino when you came up, that is the backside of the hill that runs the length of the brook.
Bogydave, elm would be nice.
Scotty, the trees I cut like this before seem to have a 23-25 percent moisture content after splitting. Does dead elm split like green elm?

zap

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I see trees like that all the time and I'm sure that with a quick check with the landowner I could fell & collect it, but I always have the suspicion that they are hollow, punked and full of living critter & their nests. Just a misconception?

Uh yeah, Zap- that's gotta go. Looks like the bark has been off a long time. Old elms we'seen bare like that had the bark laying around the base.

I'll give it a tap just to hear if it's hollow, if it were pine then ants for sure. About two years ago my neighbor was in a pinch (the wood that was delivered for the heating season was green not seasoned like the previous years) so I ran around that winter cutting dead standing for him. I think out of 5 cord he had maybe 1 cord of seasoned wood.

I think the highest m/m reading was 25 percent on a fresh split from the dead standing, after about a week inside near his stove it dropped to 22 percent.

zap

It's been a while since I cut back in the woods so I'll try to grab it Saturday. After I grab this I can go check the birch widowmaker up top, I give it another round with the 12 gauge.

zap

I read the title and thought you were talking about getting ready to burn for the season. It has been in the low fifties here in the morning lately, one morning last week it was 42. It won't be long before we fire up the stoves. :)

Reactions: Realstone
I read the title and thought you were talking about getting ready to burn for the season. It has been in the low fifties here in the morning lately, one morning last week it was 42. It won't be long before we fire up the stoves. :)

Same here. I was just thinking about sitting in front of the fire the other day.

Nice tree there zap, you know you're just itching to get it down ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.