almost want to install stove by myself

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ba_jie

Oct 8, 2008
I have had tough time to make the chimney contractor to show up. He has stood me up for 3 times.
I almost want to install the wood stove insert myself. How hard it could be anyway.

Does anyone know what tool to use to cut the flex liner? will a regular saw do the job?

A Sawzall works great. I think I drilled a hole in mine and then cut it with tin snips.

Take your time, do your research, and just about anybody can install a stove.

I sorta know how you feel. I couldn't find anyone that seemed very enthusiastic about doing the chimney installation for my wood stove. Luckily, I found this forum. After reading all I could, I felt confident enough and did it myself. I think I did a much better job than a contractor. Plus, I have a better overall understanding of things by doing it.

I have no idea about inserts, but how bad could it be?

There's lots of help here if you need it. It will be work. How hard will depend on the setup. But if you are reasonably capable with tools and have the right tools to do the job, then it is entirely possible to install the liner and insert yourself. Aviation snips cut through flex liner like butter.

Just dig into the threads of the many folks that have come to the same conclusion here and have been in your shoes. Then ask questions to fill in the blanks.

Same here. I had a hard time finding someone to install my woodstove. Through osmosis, by reading these boards, I realized I could do it myself - and did.

If you think you can, you can. . . and it's a lot more gratifying. Go for it.

Nic36 said:
I have a better overall understanding of things by doing it.
That says it all right there. It makes all the blood, sweat, and tears worth it and you'll sleep better. You can handle it, especially with having this place available to you.

yes. it's frustrating, especially it's getting colder everyday.
Today i called town hall and asked whether they require professional to install the stove, the answer is no. So i think i am legal to do the job.

Next step, tell us what you're up against. Describe the setup including the fireplace, damper, flue and chimney. Oh and what insert is this?

it's a jotul 450 i bought from a guy who never installed it. So it's considered brand new.
It comes with a 15' flex liner which is about 3' shorter than my chimney. Because a full liner is the best based on everybody's opions on this forum, I think i need to extend it using a connector.

Other questions i have are whether the damper area need to be sealed, what sealant to use etc etc.
I am always fond of DIY projects. I originally thought i am not strong enough to move the stove around, so better get some contractor. But now i am thinking to have some of my co-worker come over for the lifting job.

From the sounds of it you may be able to go rigid pipe to gain the extra 3-4 feet and connect that to the flex at the chimney top. Leave a little extra on the stove end for easier fitting. It can be trimmed if needed.

Do you have a top plate for the chimney?

A block-off plate has the greatest advantage with an exterior chimney. If that is what you have, I'd consider putting one in.

i have the raincap and 2 other items i guess should be put on the top of the chimney.
i am not sure about using rigid pipes. I guess it will be harder to go through the damper. But i might be wrong.

Yes, read all about it on this forum. And ask questions, thats what i did.
These guys saved me about $1000. I spent the weekend installing my stove.
It was not fun, especially cutting out the damper. But i am sure i did at least as
good a job as an installer.
Had my first break in fire tonight.
You can do it.
As far as cutting the liner, i had better luck with a good sharp hack saw.

Brad

jie said:
i have the raincap and 2 other items i guess should be put on the top of the chimney.
i am not sure about using rigid pipes. I guess it will be harder to go through the damper. But i might be wrong.

The rigid suggestion was just for the final 3-4ft at the top if you need to increase the overall length, not at the bottom through the damper.

It might be very difficult to cut the thin wall liner with a hacksaw. I would use an angle grinder or the snips. Be very cautious with the sharp edges, it's best to smooth them off with a stone or a sanding block.

Status
Not open for further replies.