Alone in the Wilderness

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mhambi

Burning Hunk
Sep 10, 2010
UT
I've seen DP mentioned here a couple of times, thought a few here might enjoy this. I figure this should go here, because it does show him building a hearth/fireplace/chimney. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/user/KottLoom#grid/user/B0561117D285729B

I wish I had a 1/4 of his skillset.

If you like these youtube vids, I highly recommend buying the DVD/book... well worth it!

I have the VHS tape!

Thanks for the link as I had never heard of him before. A very talented and hardworking man for sure.

Adios Pantalones said:
can't bait me into vulgar comments...

1076k9f.gif

I have it on DVD and watch it every now and then.

Read his book. There are so many more details than the video. His cabin was a warm 42 degrees in the winter.

Just now making the time to watch some of this. Amazing man. Clearly intelligent and passionate about his work ethic and doing the job right. Thanks for linking!

Dudes a machine

thanks for that. I've never heard of him before but I like it. Reminds me a lot of the kind of stuff I used to watch on broadcast TV in the 70's.

I enjoyed watching that, every time he left that cabin he had a mission and walked with such intensity,

I like the part when he said the Caribou would be a easy shot but I like Ram meat better! And he spent 35 years in solitude but who filmed him?

He had a camera tripod for some shots. He had his bush-pilot friend visit him every few weeks with supplies brought in on a float plane.

ikessky said:
quads said:
I have the VHS tape!
What's a VHS?!?!?!

;-P
VHS tapes are those things that I copied all my older BETA tapes to...

albertj03 said:
Which video is it that he makes the hearth?

It's towards the end of the Disc 1 series. I can't get over the man's skill level. He makes it look almost easy!

That's the best thing about it. He does everything with such confidence and ease.

I don't know his previous experience but starting to build the fireplace that late in the year in Alaska would have freaked me out. I know it took him time to collect the rock, etc. but he must have done that actual building of one a time or two before this....otherwise he is just one of those guys that does everything right on the first try.

He's a robot.. no one talks like that.

I saw this on PBS once. Great program.

Just starting watching this, I am hooked! He is quite the handy fellow. Who prefers Goat over Moose?

just got done watching.
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UFB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i wish i had his skills and patients, not to mention his resistance to the cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.