Alone in the Wilderness

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
uncontrolabLEE said:
north of 60 said:
Badfish740 said:
I have it on the DVR and it gets erased under penalty of death! More than his skill one of the things that strikes me about Proenneke is his physical stamina. Imagine what it takes to hand saw an 8' pine log longways into planks! I'm in reasonable physical shape and like to swing the Fiskars now and then but the shape that Proenneke must have been in to build that cabin AND hunt for/gather food would put me to shame!

Speaking of avatars, Yours is from a movie with the young Robert Redford correct? What was the name of that movie? I would like to see it again.
Thanks.
Jeremiah Johnson. Best movie EVER !

Watch your top knot!

Good flick

So tempting.
Something to think about....

Danno77 said:
north of 60 said:
uncontrolabLEE said:
north of 60 said:
Badfish740 said:
I have it on the DVR and it gets erased under penalty of death! More than his skill one of the things that strikes me about Proenneke is his physical stamina. Imagine what it takes to hand saw an 8' pine log longways into planks! I'm in reasonable physical shape and like to swing the Fiskars now and then but the shape that Proenneke must have been in to build that cabin AND hunt for/gather food would put me to shame!

Speaking of avatars, Yours is from a movie with the young Robert Redford correct? What was the name of that movie? I would like to see it again.
Thanks.
Jeremiah Johnson. Best movie EVER !

Thanks HelpingLEE
:coolsmile:
Are you talking about Badfish's avatar, with the bearskin and head on the rough looking guy? I though that was from the newer "True Grit"

Jerimiah is what I was thinking. Redford was a young pup in that one. Maybe Badfish can confirm. I think LEE picked it up from the picture too though.

Well, shoot, I didn't see these posts back in November.

Are you foks aware that there is "Alone in the Wilderness, Part 2"? It aired on my PBS station this year, and I've got it on DVR. Someone found a lot of film in storage in the home of Dick's brother, and they edited it for this segment, narrated by the same guy (the producer, whose name I can't recall). In part 2, brother "Jake" gets an old Piper Cub and reconditions it, then flies it from California to Alaska to visit Dick. The two of them fly all around the area, landing on unnamed lakes and camping/fishing. What a life.

I wondered about the food cache on stilts that you sometimes see in Part 1, and then you don't. Part 2 shows him building it.

I went through a phase as a kid after reading Jim (?) Kjelgaard's book, "Snow Dog," when I thought I wanted to go homesteading in Canada and be a trapper. I wrote to government agencies in the provinces and got information on homesteading. What I learned pretty much discouraged any such project...

Oh, well, one can live the life vicariously thru these films.

Nancy

I missed this, too.

Didn't a group of cub scouts or something get Jeremiahs body moved?

Used to love Jeremiah Johnson.
I got out of the service, found me a wife, moved back to NY and needed something to do.
I borrowed some traps and put out a line. The first day I had a sprung trap with two toes in it.
Word flies in these small towns and immediately, I couldn't go anywhere without hearing someone
call, "Kenny Two Toes."
Thus began my next adventure.
Keep your back to the wind-
Kenny

I've never heard of this documentary until I read this thread. I found the full documentary on YouTube and spent the last hour watching it. What a great experience that must have been.

PopCrackleSnap said:
Well, shoot, I didn't see these posts back in November.

Are you foks aware that there is "Alone in the Wilderness, Part 2"? It aired on my PBS station this year, and I've got it on DVR. Someone found a lot of film in storage in the home of Dick's brother, and they edited it for this segment, narrated by the same guy (the producer, whose name I can't recall). In part 2, brother "Jake" gets an old Piper Cub and reconditions it, then flies it from California to Alaska to visit Dick. The two of them fly all around the area, landing on unnamed lakes and camping/fishing. What a life.

I wondered about the food cache on stilts that you sometimes see in Part 1, and then you don't. Part 2 shows him building it.

I went through a phase as a kid after reading Jim (?) Kjelgaard's book, "Snow Dog," when I thought I wanted to go homesteading in Canada and be a trapper. I wrote to government agencies in the provinces and got information on homesteading. What I learned pretty much discouraged any such project...

Oh, well, one can live the life vicariously thru these films.

Nancy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3NRdZ8J24Q

Oh, wow! I have never heard about this guy before!

I just bought the unabriged audio book on audible.com, and added the 4DVD + book set to my wish list on amazon.com so I can order them later.

-SF

Got lucky when I did a search on my satellite DVR. Alone in the wilderness Part 1 & 2 are going to be aired on the PBS station in Wichita tomorrow night, Jan 3rd starting at 7 P.M. central time. Got the receiver set to record them both. :)

I saw that for the first time last year... and of late Ive been reading a book on timber framing (wanting to better understand how my house was built).

Between the two... now when I drive around and see logs in somebodies driveway rather than want to cut it up for firewood I feel this urge to buy a broadaxe and start hewing beams!

So, I'll be finishing this book this weekend.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions for other books like this one? Fiction or nonfiction?

-SF

SlyFerret said:

Do any of you guys have any suggestions for other books like this one? Fiction or nonfiction?

-SF

I've been reading "The Final Frontiersman" on my ipad and it's an excellent read so far. In fact the main character was on the tv show Flying Wild Alaska. He gets flown back to his cabin by bush plane and shows Jim Tweto, the pilot and owner of ERA Alaska, his setup.

Thanks for the tip! Just ordered the paperback on Amazon.

This will be the first printed book I've read in a long time! For years now I've been listening to unabridged audio books while I commute 80 miles a day to work. Now that I'm working from home, I'll give a real book a shot again. Might be a nice change!

-SF

SlyFerret said:

-SF

A true story that I heard was awesome called "The Ledge".. Has to do with mountain climbing on Mt. Ranier.. I have it here and is my next read..

Ray

SlyFerret said:

-SF

I have the 500 page PDF published by the Alaska NPS of the sequel to what you read but too big to send to you..

Ray

I've read "Endurance". It is the story of Ernest Shackleton's voyage on the Antartic seas. A true story of desolate times and how they survived. A pretty good read.

It was my vote for the unofficial name of the Progress Hybrid. :smirk:

Watched part 1 and 2 twice so far. What an amazing life Proenneke lived.

The second book MORE READINGS FROM ONE MAN"S WILDERNESS can be downloaded free from the national park service website. There is a link to it at the bottom of the Richard Proenneke Wikipedia page. That page is an interesting read in it's self.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

wetwood said:
Watched part 1 and 2 twice so far. What an amazing life Proenneke lived.

The second book MORE READINGS FROM ONE MAN"S WILDERNESS can be downloaded free from the national park service website. There is a link to it at the bottom of the Richard Proenneke Wikipedia page. That page is an interesting read in it's self.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Proenneke

That's the book I was referring to.. It's a 500 page PDF diary very lightly edited only to make it easier to read because Proenneke was not happy with how his words were changed in the 1st book.. I own the 1st book in printed form as well..

Ray

Nice, thanks!

I can read the PDF on my tablet. Too bad there isn't an audio book of that one!

-SF

Fishingpol, if you liked Endurance look for the book Shackleton's Forgotten Men. My wife is a total Antarctica freak...but only the heroic age which has to do with Shackleton, Scott, Amundsen, etc. Most people don't know about Shackleton's other men (on the opposite side of the continent) and the outrageous stuff they went through bec Shackleton's experience was so extraordinary, their stuff was lost in the telling. I've heard her tell a bunch of people about that book. It's pretty great I hear.

Thats right!

I love reading a winter survival story while I warm myself by the fire.

-SF

"My Side of the Mountain" by Jean George is very similar, although a kids book.
Its about a young teen that runs away from home and lives off the land in the Catskills.
Its still fun to read as an adult.

It looks like the whole "Alone in the Wilderness" series is available on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/swererbob/videos

Status
Not open for further replies.