Alone or buddy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andyrlee

Oct 19, 2009
Northern WI
Do you guys typically cut and process alone or with a buddy for help and safety reasons?

Andy

when cutting I always have someone with me. If you have an accidend with a chainsaw you might not be able to get help. An accident with a saw is not pretty.

Both.

I find it much more productive (in a per person amount) with two while splitting.

wolfram said:
Alone. Peace and Quiet.
I work alone and make a whole bunch of noise. Only quiet time is stacking when the tractor is shut off.

wolfram said:
Alone. Peace and Quiet.
Same here. Although, I would enjoy some company once in awhile, especially when running the saw. But, always alone.

andyrlee said:
Do you guys typically cut and process alone or with a buddy for help and safety reasons?

Andy

I'm alone about 1/2 the time. This has a lot to do with the fact that I have odd days off. It's obviously safer with a partner but I'm not going to pass on a score because I'm alone.

My wife and kids used to help. Then the kids grew up and left home. Now the wife is unable to help. I really do not mind at all as I really do enjoy working alone. Many times I'll simply stop working and sit on a stump or on the atv and just enjoy being out in Nature by myself. I read several places where it told of one Jesus who used to like to go alone into the wilderness. I enjoy the same thing although there is not much comparison between us two. lol

Gotta' go with the alone vote. I always have the cell with me. I buck the logs at the edge of the woods on the far side of the driveway. Split there too. Splits go in the trailer from the splitter, then get stacked whenever I get to 'em.
Lots of noise, when cutting and splitting, then only the sounds of nature and the occasional "oh crap" when I get a finger between a couple splits while stacking.

I work alone, not necessarily by choice, but I do enjoy nature and I am a do it yourselfer. I am not sure I would want someone too close when I have the chainsaw going or splitting anyway. I know the pros work within sight of each other, but far enough away that a tree will not fall on them. I doubt many amateurs work that way. Obviously if you had an accident a friend would sure come in handy. I did read one article where a guy accidently killed his wife by hitting her with the chainsaw in the neck while she was helping.

I work alone, I have no friends.

I buck, split, and stack alone most of the time. At times I'll have some help from Mrs. or my brother, but only when splitting.

Thank you TFTChief. I appreciate that, especially from a fellow buck owner!.

’bert said:
alone, but always with my cell phone in my pocket.

+1

’bert said:
alone, but always with my cell phone in my pocket.
Only when I am on call 24/7 which is every 3rd week.

Alone.

1)I don't fell, I scrounge tops.
2)I do not like having to think about who is where when I have a chainsaw in my hands.
3)No one likes to work with me ;-)

But from a safety standpoint, it prolly is better to have a buddy nearby, just not both usin' saws at the same time.

Alone most of the time. My friends aren't wood scroungers.

[quote author="BucksCoBernie" date="1262583984"]I'm a loner Dottie, a rebel.

Way to go pee-wee! Where's the basement?

Status
Not open for further replies.