Already burned a cord of wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

elkimmeg

Basically running 2 stoves a VC Resolute Acclaim and VC Intrepid II cat stove close to 24-7
11 this morning forcasted to near 0 tonight. So far the oil burner has not kicked in this year for heat
Looks like I will be using a good amount the rest of this week damper up and air at its lowest setting

Yep, this is that time of the year. The time that no matter how much wood you have you look at the pile going down and say "Damn, will I make it?". No matter how long you do it, it is always a surprise how fast it starts going away once burning starts.

That is unless you are Eric. He says "Damn! I may not have enough yet to make it through 2009. I better get to work.".

Hey Elk,

Isn't amazing how quickly it burns!! My son carried up about 20 pieces of wood last night (my wood is cut on the smaller side) and he looks at me so proudly and said "There you go mom, they should last you a few days!" Hmmmm it was gone before I left for work this morning!! Looks like we've got a few days of cold weather in our area ahead of us!

Tracy

It's been about 10 deg colder than normal here in eastern PA for a bit now... I've got a few days left in the first cord, had the 2nd delivered today!

Maybe this will be our first 3 cord season...

Brother Brett: 16 cords here and counting all split and most a year old. Adding as much as I am using. Still have to process most of 8 cords down to 16" logs, some splitting and all has to be stacked. Little more differcult to do that now, under a foot of snow.

Havn't burned quite a cord yet. almost there. I wonder also if I'll make it thru this year without tapping into some of the stuff I have set aside for next year. I had 3.84 cords that I know are ready. have about 3 more cords that aren't. for the last month I have been splitting some oak that has been down for 3 years and it's surprisingly dry. have even tossed a few pieces into the stove as a test. it seems to burn ok. Some of it got snowed on before I got the plastic onit so that won't help things, but I think I'll have half a cord of it available and reasonably dry by mid to late Feb if I were to need it. my fitness program has become splitting and stacking in the morning 3-4 days a week before work. I bet it wakes some of the neighbors like a rooster to hear me out there whacking away at 6 am.

update my burner finally came on a couple times last night right now 3 degrees
Main level with wood stove 67 thermo set at 65
Familly room 22/22' catherdal ceilings 16" high 7 exterior windows 4 sky lights and exterior door
69 degrees thermo set at 60. The Intrepid II cat is preforming better than expected
One does get a fair amount of heat from the cat burn and decent burn times,
considering it a smaller stove and fire box. Plus very good amount of heat for the quanity of wood burnt

Burned 1/2 cord so far, have 3 more in storage. I planned to burn a cord per month, seems like I am burning a little more than that. I made a point of starting to burn on December 1, and will run through February 28.
Currently 12 degrees outside, morning indoor temps were 65, now 68 and rising, but she's having a hard time keeping up with the cold. Since December 1 the furnace hasn't come on once to heat the main zone.

By the end of this week I will have burned about a cord. I have about 3 more to go. I always hope to use up all of this years wood because in the fall I move it to right behind my back door. Whatever doesn't get burned has to be moved (again). -2 this morning when I woke up, 52 in the part of my house where the stove is, furnace kicks on at 50. Still no oil use in that part of the house, I have separate oil tanks and separate furnaces in that part.

Rick

19 degrees here this morning. furnace wasn't on. Therm showed temp of 65. I have it set to kick on at 60. Stove is on one side of the hosue with 3 bedrooms above. There is another room on the other side of the house above a Garage. Insulation is my foe right now. That room loses heat terribly. I'm working on it. Hopefully right after Christmas I will have it taken care of. I'm not getting good burn times.5 hours from reload to having a monster bed of coals that I stir and load again. I think I need to do some reworking of my damper extender. That warp is allowing smoke to bypas the cats even when they are engaged. I can replace the whole adapter for $169 bucks so I will probably do that when this heating season ends. The folks at Appalachian stoves have given me fantastic customer service whenever I call them. said to send them the exact manufacture date from the plate on the back of the stove, or I could email a picture of the damper so they know which of 3 variations is for my stove. I have seen people knock the stove on this and other websites but I really have been pleased. And like I said. Good customer service makes all the difference in the world.

Dylan, that part of my house is where my family room is so I don't care if it gets cold in there overnight. As I type this it is 66 and climbing, by this evening it will be at least 70 in here. The main part of my house, where the bedrooms are, is kept at 60 overnight (and during the day) and raised to a balmy 65 for morning time. Sadly, that is all oil heat, my stove has no effect on the main part.

Rick

pmac said:
It's been about 10 deg colder than normal here in eastern PA for a bit now... I've got a few days left in the first cord, had the 2nd delivered today!

Maybe this will be our first 3 cord season...

Just finished 1 and a third cord here in Jerzy. Have 2 cords of 1year seasoned left, along with 8 months seasoned ( 1 ) cord left to finish in early March. I figure I'll burn 24/7 till March 1. Oil burner kicks in 6 :30 am @ 62* then I"m up to reload for the day.

the room at the far end of my place probly gets down to mid 50's on a regular basis. I'm hoping that insulation will asisst in changing that.

Reloaded the stove at 4 this morning, and cracked the stove open a bit more since it was loosing ground at minimum setting to the french door in the kitchen and the slider in the livingroom. At 6:45, livingroom temp had dropped to 68, and them logs I added at 4 were just a few coals. Damm, they went fast!

burnt 3/4 cord so far. today and yesterday 0 degrees when i got up at 5:30 am. stove at one side of house in kitchen, bedrooms on the other. 70 degrees in bedrooms. loaded the stove at 10:30 pm and still running over 350 degrees stove temp in the morning. love my old defiant.

Status
Not open for further replies.