Already lined chimney insert instalation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

10Fingers

Dec 6, 2010
Va
I moved into a home about a year ago in which the masonry fireplace chimney was lined right before we moved in with a 9inch diameter flex liner. An uncle of mine just gave me a fireplace insert which I would like to install into it. The insert takes a 8 inch pipe. My question is what is the best way to connect the insert to the liner/chimney? Can I simply run a length of flex liner up into the already lined chimney or do the two different sized liners need to be joined with a connector of some type? Secondly the fireplace has a rectangular damper. Would it be better to knock/cut that out and install a block off plate or to use an ovalized liner to pass through it. Thanks

Welcome 10fingers!

Some questions - are you sure the liner is safe (is it a legit liner and preferably it should be insulated)?

Assuming it's fine, you should join the two together with a reducer if you can find one. The cross-sectional area between 9" and 8" isn't too excessive (64.2"sq vs 50.3")

You can ovalize pipe - I cut my damper out. Either way you should be installing a block off plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.