Alternate Power for Well/Oil Burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

branchburner

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2008
southern NH
I know the first three answers are generator, generator, generator, but I have an attached rental unit heated with oil furnace (baseboard radiators). I did have a wood stove in it for supplemental heat and back-up during long power outages (or when unoccupied) to prevent pipes freezing, but insurance agent now say NO.

Rather than a generator, I was thinking it would be nice to have the burner in the rental on a dedicated circuit juiced by solar or wind. And even though I heat 100% with wood, it would be nice if I had the same for my own back-up oil burner, just in case the first time I took a winter vacation in a decade happened to be the week of a sub-zero power outage.

For that matter, the only other thing we'd really need over the course of a week or two is running water, so it would be nice to have the pump on a non-grid circuit, too. So while I'm planning to get a generator anyway, how cost prohibitive is it these days to get a smallish system that is not tied to the grid?

I may be way off base but here goes
Situation oil heat powered by solar
You are on a weeks holiday in the sun
back home it is -20 and snowing has been
for 4 days . No sun to replenish batteries
no power to furnace pipes frozen water every were
Conclusion go solar but keep grid tie in
Just my 2 cents

Maybe I will cross post there. Took a quick look through some threads but didn't find this really discussed in detail on any.

If the main goal is freeze protection would a propane fired direct vent heater work?

Well, another goal is freeze protection for the tenants, on the off chance that I'm away and they are not generator-savvy. So ideally, if the power was out for multiple days, they could fire the oil burner even if they had no other power, or water.

I doubt a solar array like that would power a well pump. I need a pretty big portable generator just to power the well pump.
A standby generator supplied by propane would do it.

I doubt a solar array like that would power a well pump. I need a pretty big portable generator just to power the well pump.
A standby generator supplied by propane would do it.

Batteries ( charged from a solar array ) can handle the instantaneous surge from the well pump. A generator can not that is why you need a large generator it has no storing power. Now how long you can run the well pump thats another issue.

Have we determined if it's a shallow well pump that sucks the water up (low amps) or an artesian well that pushes it up from hundreds of feet down (big amp pull) ?.....

Status
Not open for further replies.