Alternative Construction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if I'm the only alternative construction fan on the board. There must be others!

This is not a complete list, but would include techniques such as:

Strawbale
Cob
Earthship
Earthbag
Rasta Block
Cordwood
Geodesic Domes
Yurts

Nope, you aren't the only one. I have always been interested in being different from others on the street. I haven't been able to pull it off yet! My interests are more towards being super energy efficient. Regular construction, just taking out some of the wood (thermal bridges) in the walls, window size, extended overhangs.. that type of stuff. Also, Timber Frame homes. Curtain walls or structural insulated panels hung on a timber skeleton. Super tight envelope, and nothing out of the ordinary in regards to outside appearance. Good topic.

Raises hand. We're in an ongoing search for a piece of land on which to build our underground home.

Hokerer said:
Raises hand. We're in an ongoing search for a piece of land on which to build our underground home.

Cool! I love underground houses. I've got a design for one that is a square (most efficient shape besides a circle) and incorporates three earthship walls. The roof would be a shed roof that was held up by a timberframe structure leading to the front, south facing wall. The three earthship walls would be bermed with earth and have windows near the top. The front timberframe wall would be enclosed by a strawbale front. My design would be adaptable to easily add a second story consisting of a timberframe/strawbale structure.

I've considered an earthen roof covering, but think I would probably go with SIPs and a metal roof. In that way it would be highly insulated, easy to work on and repair, and would lend itself to rainwater harvest.

Other features I'd include would be a branching grey water system, solar panels, root cellar, sauna and bowling alley.

Just kidding about the bowling alley.

-Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.