Alternative fuels available? Re-visted......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

Just curious if the members have seen/heard anything on the availability of "alternative" fuels. I'm thinking of switching to a multi-fuel stove, and would be interested in finding out where you can get things like cherry pits, switchgrass, etc in my area (SE NY).

My local Price Chopper supermarket had a ton of switchgrass pellets for sale last winter. They just appeared out of nowhere....they never sold any type of pellets before, or since!!

Anyway, any thoughts??

Around here the best place to start looking for alternative fuels would probably be the
feed stores. If they don't have them, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Seemed everybody tried to get on the pellet wagon last year that never sold pellets before.
Some grocery stores and gas stations here were selling them at nutty prices.

macman said:
Just curious if the members have seen/heard anything on the availability of "alternative" fuels. I'm thinking of switching to a multi-fuel stove, and would be interested in finding out where you can get things like cherry pits, switchgrass, etc in my area (SE NY).

My local Price Chopper supermarket had a ton of switchgrass pellets for sale last winter. They just appeared out of nowhere....they never sold any type of pellets before, or since!!

Anyway, any thoughts??

Hi Macman,
I`m not sure I could be convinced that a multi fuel stove is a good idea since even different brands of the same type of fuels can and often do vary significantly. I really wonder if they are able to burn more than one type of fuel with a high degree of efficiency or does their literature simply imply that it will burn period.

Unless you absolutly have to purchase a stove. I would hold off for now. But if you are in the market for a new one. Why not? There cost is just slightly higher. You will have the ability to burn junk-crap pellets with ease. The market is supposed to bring all sorts of pellets in the future. I have heard of paper-leaves- cornstalks- straw ect.

Look for a local co-op for the the grains. Or talk to a local farmer. Thats where you can get deals for wheat, corn and such.

Like I said in another post. Maine woods and ACP crap isn't an issue with my Omega. I just needed to empty the ash pan a little sooner.

Don't forget pigs love corn and wheat, O'heck. Pigs eat just about anything!

jay

Thanks tink and Gio. I'm going to give a few of the feed stores in my area a call and see what they have/say. Yep, I understand where your coming from Gio....I guess I'm really looking down the road a few years. If pellets keep getting sent out of the country to Europe, I can see more shortages here.

As you mentioned, I realize that even the same brand pellets can vary, but I think a multifuel stove would seem ideal for these situations. And in the event that only poor quality pellets are available at a decent price down the road some year (dare I even mention ACP??? :gulp: ), I'm hoping that the multifuel can handle them better.

I'm in the learning/info stage right now, and want to make an informed decision before I "pull the trigger" on a different stove.

Thanks everyone....keep the thoughts /info coming. :cheese:

macman,

Check these pellets out. The beginning of the future??? I don't know.

http://www.sunriseagrafuels.com/SUNRISEAGRAFUELS/myheadline.asp?P=17043&S=149&PubID=4543

Hope to see and try them someday.

I have seen cherry pitts at TCS a while ago and don't remember the price. So I talked to my local manager this spring. He said not very popular. But he did sell the trial ton(a few bags at a time) no problem. Supposed to get some this fall. He couldn't even give me a price. Just said there close to pellets.

My feelings are they should be a bit of a savings to make corn or any multi fuel worth it. There will be more work and cleaning so if the price is just a little more for pellets. So will there really be a saving???? I want to but still on the ropes!

jay

Was looking into Sunrise Agra last year when pellets were hard to find, they told me the cost to ship them by truck to the Northeast was too high to make them profitable but in the future they were looking into shipping by rail which my bring the cost down.

TSC SUCKS, DO NOT BUY CHERRY PITS FROM THEM. I was buying them in 40lb bags for the first couple months this season, then I went back to buy more and THEY CHANGED SUPPLIERS. The bags they were trying to sell me were now 30lbs not 40. The manager at the store was no help at all, he just said that is what they replaced the other ones with. I called a store and asked if they had pits, they said yes, I asked how much the bags weighed, they said 30 lbs. I then asked the price for a ton and they came back after a brief pause and said 50 bags times $5.49 per bag. I tried to explain to them that 50 bags at 30lbs a bag IS NOT A TON, they didn’t grasp the concept. After contacting customer service multiple times they finally responded telling me that the 40lb bags were actually priced wrong and will be going up next season. They claim that $5.49/bag is actually the correct price for the 30lb bag which sounds like B.S. to me. I can’t see how a company can sell you 40lbs of a product that is sold predominantly by weight for one price and then a few weeks later sell the same product at the same price for 25% less product. I think someone in purchasing screwed up and this is their way of covering it up. I will not be burning cherry pits again unless I can find a more reliable source.

What they are doing is a violation of UCC and should be reported to the BBB or Attorney General of your state, this is classic bait-and-switch. Put up a sign or add telling you that you are paying for 40lb bags, sell you 30lb bags for the same price, pocket the difference. Caveat Emptor!

Hey macman,

Seeing as how this thread was revisited, Just wondering how the new stove of your's handles bad pellets?

I love my multifueler very much!
jay

jtakeman said:
Hey macman,

Seeing as how this thread was revisited, Just wondering how the new stove of your's handles bad pellets?

jay

Well, the 2 bags of terrible Infernos went right through it, no problems. Yes, nasty pellets, but they burned well enough when it was still fairly warm out in October.....other than those types of temps outside, I'd never burn them again, and they'd have to be the last pellet available.

But the 10-cpm didn't seem to have an issue. No clinkers, ash build-up in the pot, etc......just not much heat.

macman said:
jtakeman said:
Hey macman,

jay

Well, the 2 bags of terrible Infernos went right through it, no problems. Yes, nasty pellets, but they burned well enough when it was still fairly warm out in October.....other than those types of temps outside, I'd never burn them again, and they'd have to be the last pellet available.

But the 10-cpm didn't seem to have an issue. No clinkers, ash build-up in the pot, etc......just not much heat.

About the same for me. Except it was colder in the PM. when I tried them. I had to turn my stove way up to get any heat. But it would have burned them no problems. Operator just wasn't wasting his time for no heat. So far I have the bad batch of Mainewoods and even some ACP's through mine(along with the stinky inferno's) and she with burn them no biggie. Just have to empty the ash pan and give the ash vac a good workout.Hey at least ACP's threw some heat anyway.

At least we know they will burn the bad ones if we have too!

TTYL
jay

jtakeman said:
......At least we know they will burn the bad ones if we have too!

Yep, exactly why I bought the multi-fuel stove.....looking ahead.

Saw this today on iburncorn

http://www.biomassmagazine.com/article.jsp?article_id=3319

May be promising for the future, right now I get the feeling they're looking more at commercial applications.
On the multi fuel stove, I've had a couple bags of the Athens that had gotten damp, noticed they looked like caterpillars when I dumped 'em, they're burning up fine makin' heat, it's why I went with the Revolution. I REALLY thought corn and cherry pits would be easier to find, but, it sure burns pellets.

hossthehermit said:

May be promising for the future, right now I get the feeling they're looking more at commercial applications.
On the multi fuel stove, I've had a couple bags of the Athens that had gotten damp, noticed they looked like caterpillars when I dumped 'em, they're burning up fine makin' heat, it's why I went with the Revolution. I REALLY thought corn and cherry pits would be easier to find, but, it sure burns pellets.

Intersedting article, Thanks for sharing it hossthehermit.

In the article I found this qoute "in theory, they will sell for less than wood pellets" But I bet they find a way to make more profits too! Seems they only real savings will be for the mills producing it cost of raw material. Otherwise there are going to cost about the same to produce the pellets.

But hey, There is still hope we can save a little anyway.

Price is rather immersial, if it's competive, IMO. At this point, having made the multi - fuel investment, (and commitment) , any additional sources for fuel, even if not cheaper, SHOULD, at least, help hold down the price on wood pellets. If more commercial operations, factories, power plants, etc. are burning pellets made from stover, there will be less demand for commercial grade wood pellets, more mills MAY start producing a TRUE premium pellet. But, I digress. Simply thought the article was interesting, and found a new magazine to check out, that I didn't know existed. Winter's here, gotta find something to read.

hossthehermit said:
Price is rather immersial, if it's competive, IMO. At this point, having made the multi - fuel investment, (and commitment) , any additional sources for fuel, even if not cheaper, SHOULD, at least, help hold down the price on wood pellets. If more commercial operations, factories, power plants, etc. are burning pellets made from stover, there will be less demand for commercial grade wood pellets, more mills MAY start producing a TRUE premium pellet. But, I digress. Simply thought the article was interesting, and found a new magazine to check out, that I didn't know existed. Winter's here, gotta find something to read.

Yes, I see you point and it seems valid. If the pressure is removed from the wood pellet. We might even see a cost reduction. Lack of demand should be in the buyers favor. I guess I was focused on the average consumer, Not on the overall market.

Thanks again for sharing.

macman said:
hossthehermit said:
Price is rather immersial....

Huh?? You got me on that one Hoss

Whut??? Oh, guess I get it. "Immersial"? Is that the question, macman? If so, it's just one of those things Grampy always said, back when I was a kid, I still use it a lot, means sorta like beside the point, kinda more or less, or not, if ya get my drift, sorry 'bout that.

hossthehermit said:
.....Oh, guess I get it. "Immersial"? Is that the question, macman? ....

Yes, thanks Hoss.....I never heard that before, and wondered what it meant. Is it a real word?

Oh, and no apologies needed. :)

macman said:
hossthehermit said:
.....Oh, guess I get it. "Immersial"? Is that the question, macman? ....

Yes, thanks Hoss.....I never heard that before, and wondered what it meant. Is it a real word?

Oh, and no apologies needed. :)

Well, I guess it's as "real" as any other word, just not as commonly used.

jtakeman said:
hossthehermit said:

In the article I found this qoute "in theory, they will sell for less than wood pellets" But I bet they find a way to make more profits too! Seems they only real savings will be for the mills producing it cost of raw material. Otherwise there are going to cost about the same to produce the pellets.

It's at least as real as "intersedting"

hossthehermit said:
jtakeman said:
hossthehermit said:

Guess I should have used spell check! I never could spell very well.

jtakeman said:
hossthehermit said:
jtakeman said:
hossthehermit said:

Guess I should have used spell check! I never could spell very well.

I just couldn't resist, guess I'm just easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.