Alternative to Englander Baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04HemiRam2500

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2013
SW PA
I have the englander 30. I am always nervous about the cermaic fiberboards at the top. Is there an alternative that can be used such as thick steel or something instead of these baffle boards. The price for others is not cheap.

I am thinking of buying another set or two as every time I load the wood I hit them and they have some scratches and dents in them now which sucks.

How long should they last and if they get a whole in them do you replace them or wait till they break. Also, what is the dimensions and thickness of the ones in there.

Lastly, how durable are they is it okay if you hit them.

I am wondering if you can put thick steel in there instead, maybe the steal baffle for the furnace can fit in the stove?

If steel is an option what gauge or thickness should I use. I just think that steal will last alot longer than these baffles.

Just my $0.02, but you should probably focus on learning proper operating techniques, acquiring fully seasoned wood and insulating your house before you go modifying a wood stove that is heating tens of thousands of homes in stock form without issue.

Part of proper operating technique is not abusing the baffle or secondary tubes while loading. I bump mine on occasion, but with that gigantic firebox they are pretty easy to avoid.

Reactions: raybonz
I agree with you it just seems easy for me to hit them as I am taller and I lift the load up over the coals and the first end going end hits them. I already have quite a few dents. I just want to either have an alternative or spare at the house for backup.

So far I think I am going to buy them from englander but they are out of stock until December first.

Can you fit firebrick in place of the baffle? I did that with my stove and it costs about half of the baffle and it works great.

I think firebrick is too thick, the baffle boards in the 30-NC are 1/3 or maybe 1/2 an inch thick.

Has anyone tried a metal plate or 2 side by side with baffle boards on top? My stove is made that way, no worries when I'm jamming wood in there.

Holiday that is what I am hoping for because at night or when I leave the house for a few hours I try to get the most in it I can and I feel like I bump them or hear them scratch almost every time!

If there is some type of gauge steal to where I can put two pieces in there and be done with it that would be great. I just see the five or six dents I put in it already and worry how ell they will hold up. Also, if they do break can I still use the stove what will happen?

Also, what about the dimensions of the baffle for the englander furnace maybe that can fit in this thing? I am unsure on the size of this and the furnace one?

I am just curious because the impigment plate from englander for the furnace is only 47 dollars!! maybe it will fit not sure???

They are 1/2" thick. If you buy a set in the "early bird fall special" you get two boards, door and window gasket and adhesive for like $120 shipping included. The boards themselves are more than that normally with a healthy shipping charge added on. Usually ends in October.

I tried a sheet of 304 stainless under them for grins and it just warped. My set is seven seasons old and doing fine after I threw my poker in the woods during the first season. Not using a poker and getting over trying to stack the wood higher than the brick retainers does wonders for preserving the baffle boards.

Okay so it is more of me stacking it too much that I have to worry about than the burning. I just try to fill it full though for overnight what do you do?

Also, BrotherBart what do you think about putting the furnace baffle in the stove?

When does that early bird special begin and how did you find out about it?

It helps to let the coal bed burn down as much as possible, obviously still leaving enough to allow for easy ignition of the new wood. With a thin, even layer of coals you can pack an awful lot of wood in there and still leave 1-2 inches between the wood and the baffles. Make sure it's full front to back and side to side more than stacked to the absolute top of the stove.

I thought you rake the coals to the front near the dog house? I need to leave a thin even layer?

Also, what will happen if they brake can I still use it?

Some people have better luck raking them all to the front. I usually do this in the morning if I'm looking to burn some of them down to make more room in the firebox. My draft isn't the strongest, so I find that my reloads ignite and burn more evenly if I distribute the coals evenly across the floor of the firebox. Your mileage may vary depending on your set up, but I have had better luck with an even coal bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.