Always Chasing The Root Cause

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
When I had begun burning firewood, it was to escape the rath of my electric bill. I bought my house when I was 22 years old and I had no clue what I was doing. How I made it that first year is still a mystery to me :). I ran the heat pump (attic installed air handler) which in turn kicked on the auxiliary heat. My one electric bill was close to $600. The heat pump was installed after the previous owner removed the oil boiler. All of the duct work goes to ceiling registers. Not cool.

So the idea of burning firewood came to my mind. I started to set myself up for it. I got the chimney cleaned and checked out. I found my Quadra Fire on craigslist for $400 and fixed it up as needed. I've been burning for 3 years and every year I think of some way to improve my methods. I have not had a winter electric bill over $100 for the last 3 years. I do run air conditioning in the summer so that exceeds $100 but nothing too bad.

This very system is what finally allowed me to experience financial freedom and get ahead. I survived and built up my savings account. I work hard and split firewood any chance I get to stay ahead of the game. It is truly a blessing to heat my house completely based of off my own hard labor.

So what shall I do with the money I saved from burning firewood? Fix the root cause! So I begun insulating, caulking, replacing windows, sealing cracks, spray foaming, sealing block, sealing doors, insulate the attic better, painting, installing new carpet, and going the extra mile to make this home better for my future family. I am 26 years old and waiting on God's provision and the next steps in life. For now I will keep burning firewood and chasing the root cause :cool:.

When I had begun burning firewood, it was to escape the rath of my electric bill. I bought my house when I was 22 years old and I had no clue what I was doing. How I made it that first year is still a mystery to me :). I ran the heat pump (attic installed air handler) which in turn kicked on the auxiliary heat. My one electric bill was close to $600. The heat pump was installed after the previous owner removed the oil boiler. All of the duct work goes to ceiling registers. Not cool.

So the idea of burning firewood came to my mind. I started to set myself up for it. I got the chimney cleaned and checked out. I found my Quadra Fire on craigslist for $400 and fixed it up as needed. I've been burning for 3 years and every year I think of some way to improve my methods. I have not had a winter electric bill over $100 for the last 3 years. I do run air conditioning in the summer so that exceeds $100 but nothing too bad.

This very system is what finally allowed me to experience financial freedom and get ahead. I survived and built up my savings account. I work hard and split firewood any chance I get to stay ahead of the game. It is truly a blessing to heat my house completely based of off my own hard labor.

So what shall I do with the money I saved from burning firewood? Fix the root cause! So I begun insulating, caulking, replacing windows, sealing cracks, spray foaming, sealing block, sealing doors, insulate the attic better, painting, installing new carpet, and going the extra mile to make this home better for my future family. I am 26 years old and waiting on God's provision and the next steps in life. For now I will keep burning firewood and chasing the root cause :cool:.

It is very satisfying to have your labor so well the rewarded in so many ways. Nice to hear your story and perspective.

Great to hear. Your experience is similar to ours - we're on our third year of firewood heat here.

Our house has a heat pump... they're not much good for heating in this part of the country. On top of that we'd get $800.00 pro-pain bills every spring if we used the gaslog. The gaslog is long gone now, good riddance.

What to do with the money you save? Well, GAS or Gear Aquirement Syndrome comes to mind, lol. How 'bout another saw? Or a nice splitter? The list is endless. :)

certainly a story with nothing but good endings......nice to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.