1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Always Remember to shut your stove door!!

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by SmokinPiney, Feb 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmokinPiney

SmokinPiney Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    In the Pines, NJ
    All i gotta say is, thank God for smoke detectors. A little while ago I lit a fire in the stove (in my basement) and i usually leave the door cracked for 5-10 minutes (depending on the wood) to get it roaring. The door has a latch on it that allows it to stay 3/4" open while gettin the fire goin. Well i made the stupid mistake of getting sidetracked and ended up sittin down on the couch.

Needless to say i forgot about the stove door until the smoke alarm at the top of the stairs started blairing. I rushed downstairs to find the elbow on top of the stove glowing and smoking! The temp on the pipe was 700+ deg so i shut all air off to the stove and opened the outside doors to the basement to clear the smoke. Thankfully the temp dropped slowly and i managed to get it under control. Sure got my heart goin and i think i need to check my pants now.

My dad always told me to use something to remind you if you leave the door open for any reason. A rubberband on the wrist or chew on a toothpic, etc. Just something to remind you. I guess i shoud've listen'd a little better.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Better still don't leave the stove with the door open, period.
  3. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Sounds like you could have a draft problem if you have to leave the door cracked to get the fire going?
  4. RonB

RonB Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwest MI
    I don't leave the door open, but on a new load of wood I open the primary and the startup air control full open. There is a warning tag on the Quad stove startup air control that 15 min is maximum time open. Stove is in the basement, so I always set the timer on the kitchen stove on main floor to remind me.
  5. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    I will get busy doing something and forget to turn the air supply down so I started using an egg timer.
  6. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Fortunately for me, my stove has a thermostatic control so if I forget to turn it down, it self-regulates to prevent over-firing.
  7. Vic99

Vic99 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA, Suburb of Lowell
    Sometimes I hold it open for a few minutes, but if I have to walk away, the door gets closed.

My rule is do not leave the stove door open if your hand is not loading wood or grasping the handle.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Vic has the true rule! Never, never, never leave that stove until all is under control....and that includes that primary air full open. It just is not worth taking chances.
  9. Chettt

Chettt Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Michigan
    Thanks for posting your story. We all can become too complacent with our stoves.
  10. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Now, imagine if that was an ash pan door, effectively turning the stove into a forge. Eeeekk! Hence my warnings to others in different threads.

We are not always masters of our universe and sometimes simply get distracted. Other than ruining a set of undies, I am glad all turned out well for you.
  11. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    I never forgot to close the door, or air, or whatever. Nope. Didn't happen. If someone said it did- you know they are a liar.
  12. SmokinPiney

SmokinPiney Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    In the Pines, NJ
    Exactly why i posted it. We're not all perfect and sometimes make stupid mistakes. This one could've turned out bad but thankfully i had a working smoke detector that got my attention.
  13. daveswoodhauler

daveswoodhauler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Massachusetts
    I just set the timer on the Kitchen stove for appx 5 minutes when lighting...works good.....I say, whos cookin something.....ah, it was me :)
  14. kwburn

kwburn New Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    i never need to leave the door cracked but i do leave the primary air wide open at the beginning of course which will certainly overfire eventually.
    i use the timer on my microwave to remind me. 5 minute clips usually.
  15. WES999

WES999 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mass north of Boston
    Well here is something better than a rubber band on the wrist. Here is what I have done. I have put together a stove temperature monitor/ alarm. There is a thermocouple probe in the flue connected to a controller, the alarm will sound when the internal flue gas temperature exceeds the set point.

I think you would be surprised just how fast the flue temp can rise. Tonight I when I started up my stove ( it was cold) the flue temp went from 60* to 500* in about 3 1/2 min, this was with the door slightly open and some pallet wood kindling. After I shut the door the flue temp was up to around 700* in 10 min.

Here are some pics and a link to a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXMpyJ6c150

I have decided to offer a limited number of these units for sale to forum members.
    PM me if you want more info.

Attached Files:

16. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Good idea for all basement installations. Out of sight should not be out of mind when it comes to a woodstove.
  17. LeonMSPT

LeonMSPT Minister of Fire

Loc:
    From Maine, now living in Alaska
    Don't forget to put on your pants before you go to work... ;)

Seriously, sage advice... if opening ash doors and loading doors to "liven a fire", stand or kneel right there with your hand on the door. No way to forget it. Never mind the dog, the wife, the kids, nothing else matters except closing that stupid door. Your life and home depend on it.
  18. PunKid8888

PunKid8888 New Member

Loc:
    South East NH
    I have a nice little foot stool I sit on while letting the stove come up to temp. Something about fire that is so relaxing
  19. Vic99

Vic99 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA, Suburb of Lowell
    I have a stool like that too. Call it my Yep Stool.

Yep.
  20. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    And make sure that the pants you put on aren't backwards . . . I've gone on more than one ambulance call with my windpants on backwards. :) ;)

On a serious note . . . x1 to what Leon says . . . when the door is open to get the fire going my keister is parked right there in front of the stove so I don't forget to close it up and shut 'er down before leaving the area.
  21. labrador

labrador Member

Loc:
    upstate New York
    Jake, That makes it a little tough when you finally get to the ER with your patient. (from another firefighter/EMT) Labrador
  22. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Do you plan to pee on him?
  23. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Well they were windpants so I could walk around them fine . . . but they didn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence with the patient . . . I mean would you trust your health care to a guy wearing his pants on backwards? :)
  24. firefighterjake

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Nah . . . we only pee on the woodstove doors to clean them. ;) Where is Adios Pantalones when you need him to chime in here . . . this is a perfect thread for him. :) ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.