1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Always say yes

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Got Wood, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Got Wood

Got Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Dutchess Cty, NY
    I thought my wood processing season was completed as I like to stay away from it from Memorial day until Labor day (heat, bugs, other things to focus on....). But, Saturday afternoon the phone rings and a friend says "I got a tree guy here taking down a tree, do you want the wood?" I'll be there in 10 minutes....

I change clothes and drive the 2 miles and the tree guy is ready to start bucking it up, asks what length I want and starts cutting. Back the truck right up to it. He's cutting and my friend and I are loading. Took 2 loads, about 1/2 cord worth and about an hours time. Splitting will probably wait until Sept....unless the urge hits earlier! Given this is probably 2017/18 wood a few months wont hurt.

One of the big reasons I have been able to get ahead is to get the word out and ALWAYS say yes (with qualifications at times if needed) and be prompt. No one wants bucked up trees sitting in their yard.
    save$, Ralphie Boy, ScotO and 4 others like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    No pictures?
    No wood type?
    Hummmmm?
    LOL ;lol

Nice close score, makes "free" even cheaper ;)
    ScotO and PapaDave like this.
  3. Got Wood

Got Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Dutchess Cty, NY
    I hear ya, was thinking the same but its pouring rain here today, sorry but I aint going out to take a picture. Its a cherry tree, I think white cherry. Nice to be able to get a load bucket to length and not have to even bring a saw.
    ScotO likes this.
  4. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Got Wood, I can fully agree with you about waiting on the cutting but our wait goes way past Labor Day. Still too hot then for me to be cutting and the bugs aren't gone yet either. I like the bugs gone and also the leaf drop done for. But then, hunting season comes along so we don't get starting until usually around December 1. Still lots of time for cutting and that is a great time of the year to be out getting that good exercise.

Nice that you got that wood though even if it is warm now.
    ScotO likes this.
  5. fire_man

fire_man Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Ma
    I have never regretted saying YES to free or cheap firewood.

The only time I might say NO is if there is poor access to the wood or I have to haul it any distance. Or if it's Rotted.
    ScotO and Backwoods Savage like this.
  6. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    One more week and and a "No" might have come out
    suppose to get hot
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I don't mind the heat at all. I just take more breaks when it is super hot. And I always take my big water jug to the tree jobs with me. That thing is a real lifesaver when it's hot out.

GW, that sounds like a great score, but you know the rules around here.....pics or it didn't happen!;)

Good to see you posting, haven't heard from you in a while!
    Backwoods Savage and save$ like this.