Always wear your glasses

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

henfruit

Minister of Fire
I was in my boiler room 2 days and thought why not jack up the cut off temp of the greenwood damper as it was going to really cold and the hotter water will keep me warmer. well the past two marnings i was wondering why am i going through so much more wood or shorter burn times? the extra few degrees should not make that big of a diiferance.well i went into my cabin that is attached to my house(long story) was at 61 degrees and the thermostat is set is set 40 f. well when i reset the aquastat to 200 it was not but 220 so my dump zone the cabin was getting a lot of free heat like 20 degree more than it was set to recive. well atleast i know my dump zone is working.

The numbers on my aquastat have become nearly impossible to read. Cheap bass turds %-P

These aquastats were first used in the Geico caves, and are still being built the same way today.
My Honeywell stat has a 3/32" square cutout on the cover, which might have been designed to be a viewfinder, except that there aren't any numbers to view. But it can be useful in another way. I have a "home" setting that's almost always ok, except for a few times when I need a shot of hotter water, or for nights dropping below 0. So, with the stat set at the "home" position, I used a mini brush to paint a line onto the stat dial, right at and below the viewfinder. So home is the viewfinder centered on the line, which makes it easy to reset the stat to the home position after having moved it up for more heat. I don't fiddle much, but anyone using multiple settings could paint lines of different colors for fast ajustments. Or, thin strips of tape might be just as good, with less work.

When I had stuff apart for the Nipple weld, I took the cover off my aquastat. When I put the GW back together, I left the aquastat cover off. Makes it a lil easier to read, and you can adjust the temp with two fingers, instead of trying to get a small screwdriver in an impossible to find slot.

i set my father inlaws up with this. you can do draft and dump all in one with one sensor. also you can adjust temps up to 220 with a 30 degree differential.not that you could run that high.

Attachments

• DSCF0305.jpg
    DSCF0305.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 294
I had to go back to the house last night to get my glasses to. No matter how far back I stood I couldn't read the #. I have my stat set at 177-180. The new stat has a non-adjustable diff of 5*. I wasn't happy when it came like that but it seems to work really well. I don't get the high spikes when the damper shuts. More even and I rarely put in more that 3 rounds.
Doug

2Beans who make that set up in your pic? Or what are the parts needed to put one together. Very interested,looks like it gives a read out of temps also? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.