Am I addicted to wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sapratt

Feeling the Heat
May 14, 2008
Northwestern, Oh
I have 3 cord of wood split and stacked and maybe room for one face cord. I can't stop picking up wood if its sitting by the road ( in our town if people have logs or branches they need to get rid of they just put it by the road and the city picks it up). I used drive around looking at the scenery now I drive around looking for wood. We had a storm on saturday night I drug my wife and kids out at 10pm looking for spoils. Is it just me or is everyone here addicted to the smell of split wood? Cause I can't help walking back to the pile just to catch a wiff or two of that sweet smell.

I can't tell ya right now. I am sitting in a lawn chair having a beer and gazing at my wood pile. Resting up from dropping and bucking out a 70 foot red oak this evening.

We are all wood addicts on this forum. Otherwise, we would be doing something more useful with our time. :coolsmile:

Once in a while, you just gotta drop your wood and back slowly away from the pile. Rick

Addicted to warmth maybe.

If it were buckets of #2 diesel I'd be five minutes ahead of ya.

It's an addiction.

Hello, my name is Dave and I am a wood addict ((Hello Dave!!))

Well fry my hide...I just came in after admiring my woodpile and noticing how quickly those split pieces are drying, so much lighter to the heft that 2 months ago...even the elm that was all twisted and soaking wet.

Woodpiles were made for observing over a fresh cup of coffee every morning.

Cheaper than a shrink.

After 30+ years of it this is the best time of the year. Growing the wood pile. Burning it in the winter gets to be a pain in the butt.

BrotherBart said:
Woodpiles were made for observing over a fresh cup of coffee every morning.

Cheaper than a shrink.

After 30+ years of it this is the best time of the year. Growing the wood pile. Burning it in the winter gets to be a pain in the butt.

Now that's a fact. :)

I am so freakin' glad that it isn't just me. I was starting to think I was nuts or something. I don't think a day goes by that I don't visit the woodpile and check on things. There is nothing like the smell of drying oak!

1. I thought this thread was about some female nymphomaniac :coolsmirk: Boy was I ever disappointed (jk)

no man said:
I drug my wife and kids out at 10pm looking for spoils. Is it just me or is everyone here addicted
The first step is admitting you have a problem. However, you should not be drugging you family to fulfill your addiction. :coolmad:

Haha the kids & the BF pick on me when we are driving because my head spins around like an owl to check out piles & downed trees.

Getting wood delivered tomorrow, new guy highly recommended. Wish me luck! Didn't have the cash to do the semi seasoned this year.
I told my son about my delivery & he said well I know what I am doing after school!

Yes, most of us are fire junkies. I split wood every other day. Today was my day off and I found myself gazing a lot at the second holz I just finished yesterday. It's an obsession.

How about this!

I go to my buddies who is clearing a lot for a house! His brother in law shows up! ( he also burns wood ) He says to me, " Hey Fatttman how many standing dead are in the woods?" I say right away " nine, and three more on the way!" :ahhh:

Every time I go to someones house and into theirs woods I find myself counting the standing dead or looking for it!

Anybody else have this problem? :red:

Oh thank god....I see I am not the only one...was starting to think I had some real issues going on....WOW

Not a morning goes by that I don't stare at my wood pile. Heck I can even see it from the bathroom.....I've found you have to have pretty good aim in order to keep looking at it!

How bad do I have it?

I don't have a wood pile addiction...I..I..I..I can quit anytime I want. Really!

Why would I sit and drink a beer anywhere else?

Attachments

• 009sm.jpg
    009sm.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 368
  • 013sm.jpg
    013sm.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 337
kooP said:
try fly a kite! good field 4it & u can still hold beer in other hand

Pook - trust me when I say that your not the first person to tell me to go fly a kite.

"Every man looks at his woodpile with a kind of affection." Henry David Thoreau

Its funny because my little toddler, not even two yet, likes to ask if he can go out to the woodpile. Wonder where he got that from?

Last night I was stacking some wood, I picked up a log and a really big snake took off from under it - it totally caught me off guard even though harmless I still jumped about a foot in the air. Had a good laugh after...

I've got more wood this year than I had even near the beginning of the heating season for the last two years. I think I have about 7 cords, but I still want to get more, I figure being a full year ahead is a good idea especially now that oil/gas prices have gone though the roof. I expect more demand (and hence more local competition) for wood even though the average person is probably never going to make the switch - they'd rather spend thousands of dollars and complain about the government not doing anything for them instead of burning wood. The oil burning folks who were complaining last year will pay twice as much next winter - its gonna get ugly. Natural gas up about 50%. Energy security = priceless.

In the winter- the wife loves the woodpile for the heat it represents.
When I have a big party, my friends like my woodpile for peeing behind.
The animals have nested in and under it- so I consider them when burning.

me- I just like having it. Money in the freaking bank. Accumulate, horde, ration it out when needed...

Too bad you can't have your wood and burn it too.

YUPPERS, especially since I am behind the game this year! I have probably 3 cord of split and is pretty dry or totally dry from leftover from last year. I still need to pick up 2 cord. I ahve been riding my ATV around the property looking for trees taht have fallen down. A couple of weekends ago I found a few soft maples that had been down for the past 2 years. The other night I found a cherry and about three others that are beech that I will take care of. I can probably get my 2 cord out of the rest of the trees that I have found and sicne they have been down for at leat a year I would say that even with only 4 months of being split and stacked I should think that they will be pretty dry

I read on here that you should be a year ahead on your wood stash. Some said two years was even better. I started scrounging, accumulating, and getting ahead. I had enough for one year out. Then I had enough for a couple years. Now I can't stop. I think I'm over 16 cords now all split and stacked with another 1.5 left over in the wood shed. I'm going tomorrow morning to drop 5 dead trees about 30" diameter. When does one stop!?

Status
Not open for further replies.