Am I being an unreasonable PE owner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsa0021

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2008
Ohio
I bought my PE Super insert (new model with 2 fans) stove in July, installed in August, first burn October 1st. I immediately had a terrible rattle when the fans kicked on so I investigated. I found the source of the racket (3 areas) called the dealer to complain. I told the dealer precisely where the rattles were comings from and explained that it appears that the sheet metal that directs the airflow around the stove is cut differently on each side and you can see the vibration contact on one side but a large gap on the opposite side.
1) Dealer's/ my installer came out said there was no way for him to fix the stove and he is recommending replacement. I waited a week and heard nothing so I called again.
2) Dealer sent out a different installer. He said one fan was not running true. I mentioned that I pulled the power on that fan and it only eliminated 1 rattle. He agreed that changing the fan would not solve the other rattles and recommended having stove replaced.
3) Dealer says that PE is NOW claiming that a batch of bad fans were put on some stoves and they were going to sent out a new set. When I questioned how long this would take the dealer said he would check and if it was a long wait he would pull fans from a stove in stock.
4) Came home tonight and maybe I was stressed but I had not heard anything since monday so I called PE's 1888 number to complain.
I think all they will do is call the dealer. I have been very pleasant in discussing this situation. I did raise my voice a little tonight but I didn't go too far. Would you handle this any differently? The dealer has always been nice and appear to be trying to resolve this but I feel like PE has there hands tied. FWIW I told PE that it wasn't the dealer's fault and I felt PE was dragging their feet. PE will probably call the dealer and blame them.

Personally, I think three days is a little short. They are not likely to ship overnight express the parts to repair, so you need to give them time to get things in motion. Sounds like PE and the dealer are trying to solve the problem. If their solution doesn't work, then push a little. Remember, it is not in their best interest to replace your stove as a cost factor and a logistics matter. Calm down, build a fire, turn the good fan on, and add a little music to hide the noise.

It sounds like your saga has been going on for over a month with no end in sight? I think you are justified in demanding resolution on an issue with a new product you bought from your local dealer. The manufacturing/vendor issues are the shop floor's problem not yours.

No, nothing is wrong with that stove - the rattle helps even the heat flow - just ask bigg redd

They've had a month. If your dealer is reasonable, I don't see why he wouldn't just pull two good fans and replace your bad ones. Just call and tell him you need to heat your house and it really can't drag on any more - replace the fans or replace the stove. It's pretty reasonable, and from the sound of things he'll just come fix it.

If they can't send you new fans from the showroom, there may be a reason. They may have bad fans in the showroom as well. Their hands may be tied at the dealership, but thats not a great excuse. Also, we're talking one of the 2 or 3 busiest months at a hearth retailer...again, this may be a reason for a delay, but not a great excuse. What I would do is politely be a squeeky wheel and call PE Once or twice a day, and ask them when your gonna get your new fans. iN some parts of the country, PE is not sold directly to the dealer, but they are sold thru distribution. Try and locate the distributor if this is the case. Sometimes an extra cog in the wheel slows things down.

littlesmokey said:
Personally, I think three days is a little short. They are not likely to ship overnight express the parts to repair, so you need to give them time to get things in motion. Sounds like PE and the dealer are trying to solve the problem. If their solution doesn't work, then push a little. Remember, it is not in their best interest to replace your stove as a cost factor and a logistics matter. Calm down, build a fire, turn the good fan on, and add a little music to hide the noise.
Actually, it vibrates with either fan and the tv cannot drown it out. When the installer heard it he said it sounded like a hellicopter in the house. This is not a slight hum or rattle but a full blown racket.
I'm trying to be patient but I get the feeling heating season will be half over (or my hearing lost) before I get this resolved.

Personally, if it was me, I would fix the problem myself and be done with it.
Check to see for metal rubbing against metal. Eliminate the contact, problem eliminated.
I had similar issue with the shroud trim pc vibrating against the shroud itself. A lil fire rated insulation left over from a donor initial between the two, solved.
Then the casing that the air blows into and gets redirected by, was also vibrating bad, a few adjustments, problem solved.
If it is the fans themselves, then you will have to wait fro them from the dealer. I understand your frustration. But I myself take care of what I can.
Then hound the dealer for the rest.
Once in a while you may have a vibration at a certain temp. I noticed that last year. While on its way to normal operating temp, the casing would vibrate, once it got past the temp, the vibration stopped.
Its a tough situation. You can't use any rubber bumpers, bushings or grommets to eliminate the vibration, but you can tweak the casing to help stop it. You may find when it is up to temp, some of the vibration may have stopped.
Anywhere you have metal going from cold to hot, it will expand and in tight spots, make contact during that expansion.

Hogwildz,
I also do everything myself. I find that I will do a better job than someone that wants to get in and done with the job. However, when I pay good money for a product that has been touted as good quality product and company, I expect them to stand by their product and fix whatever is not right. I already own a junk stove (my VC) and a wasted company that ripped me off.
As I sit here, it has been 8 days since the dealer told me the fans would be replaced. How long does it take to fedex fans?
I may sound a little pissed but I'm tired of every purchase I make turning into the company not delivering on their promises. I won't go into the 3 month headache I had with Asus routers.
Maybe I'm just unlucky, but my PE fan noise is in no way acceptable.

Call PE direct. Tell them the problem, and see if they light a fire under the dealer's arse.

bsa,

Within the last yr, I have described a conversation I had with our dealer in another PE thread on this forum, but in summation, and you can take this for what it is worth, (so far these statements I have relayed here previously have not been argued as incorrect):

Warranty work is DEALER out of pocket expense for which they are reimbursed after completion of the work and completion of the "paperwork". Therefor, the parts are not going to be FEDEXed overnight, they are coming by covered wagon. I had a boost manifold replaced last yr, about a 5 lb piece of steel. It took over a month to get the part ... https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/30126/P0/

I would suggest politely asking the dealer for proof that the fans have been ordered, and if that has been done, keep calling as this will be their busy season, and the parts could arrive, and be sitting somewhere in the dealer's warehouse (and these parts may well have to pass thru the regional distributors hands first?)

Good Luck, Crank up the music/TV and grab a pair of headphones : ))

Status
Not open for further replies.