Am I being paranoid???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crawfish

Mar 16, 2009
central pa
I did a self install of a Napoleon 1402 wood insert with the help of a friend back in April and am now wondering if I might have done something wrong. What concerns me is where my friend joined the SS Liner to the Low Clearance Adapter at the stove. You see, the liner would not fit inside the adapter so he made a couple of small snips in the liner and slipped it down over the adapter and used several self tapping screws to secure it. Is this a normal practice? It isn't real clear in the owners manual how to make this connection but I'm wondering if maybe I wasn't sent a some sort of connector to do this properly. Also, after I thought of this (and before my friend filled in some missing bricks we had to removed to gain access) I put two 1/2" band clamps around the connection and cinched them up good and tight for assurance. My biggest concern is that if creosote forms could it run down and leak out over the top of the adapter? Please tell me I am overreacting because I hate the thought of having to tear apart the bricks again!

Tim

no, your not overreacting. That connection is not what we call "drip less". The liner should fit inside the adapter, not on the outside. I would order the correct part from your dealer to make that connection. There should be a liner connector from the liner manufacture that will take the corrugated liner end, and convert it to a appliance adapter.

I think it's neurotic, not paranoid - unless you think you are being persecuted by your insert :)

In these matters a dose of neurosis is appropriate.

You should have installed the proper adapter or tucked that liner inside. I would redo it, preferably with the correct adapter. Could you have zero issues with this setup - yes, it is possible...

Status
Not open for further replies.