Am I being taken for a ride?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty_ernie

Aug 27, 2008
NY
Ad in paper, $175/cord for 3+ or less than 3 is $190.

I call the guy & he tells me that the moisture content right now is 65%. He suggests waiting until MC is about 55% to get optimal burn. He says 35% or lower MC is too dry and the stove will consume the wood at too fast a rate.

I'm sorry, I don't have the species fo the wood in case that matters.

We just moved into our new place & I was calling around for anything close to ready to burn for this season, maybe beginning in October.

According to that guy, all my wood is way too dry to burn. I guess I should start hosing it down or something. Install a sprinkler system in my woodshed to keep my wood from becoming too dry, perhaps. %-P Rick

Optimum mc is 15-25%, more than that the wood will not give out as much BTU's. Wet wood loses BTU's as the fire tries to evaporate the water which sends steam up your chimney and condenses into creosote. I doubt you could even get 55% wood to burn.

65%? Is he retrieving wood from a lake bottom?

I would guess he is making those numbers up, and he doesn't even own a moisture meter.

Patapsco Mike said:
65%? Is he retrieving wood from a lake bottom?

I would guess he is making those numbers up, and he doesn't even own a moisture meter.
Thats what i thought as well just somthing to say to a customer so he looks smart!didnt work because he is a hearth.com member

Uhhhhhh 65% moisture right now....hmmmm do you understand that he is saying that his wood is more than half water? even when it is growing no tree have that high of moisture content let alone after its cut. (unless he soaks his wood in a lake a few years before he sells it.)

Order the wood to be delivered, but tell the guy if the wood is less than 35% moisture you want 25% off (since you will have to go through the trouble of running your sprinkler over it for a month or so). When he shows up, hit a few pieces with your moisture meter and bingo, it's on sale!

Lumber producers often use a different scale for %mc. They divide the weight of the water by the weight of the dry wood (completely kiln dried). In this way it's common for some green woods to have over 100% MC.

Pulp/paper producers and most other industries use a different calc: (weight of water/weight of green wood)x100.

If your supplier is using the first calculation, then the wood is probably (100*0.65/1.65)= 39% mc.

Thanks for the replies. Here's what I'm told. He has the trees all cut up into manageable logs and left to dry for 'about a year'. He then gets the order and cuts & splits according to requested log length and makes the delivery.

Like I say, we just moved in & I'm still learning. My Kennebec was just delivered last week & I was hoping to get some decent fel for burning later this year.

What Adios said.

I'm thinking 175 a cord is awful high here in NY...hell we're up to our armpits in woods. Not far from me they were selling seasoned wood for 65 if you got 10 cords or more.

With a water content of 65%, it could be a mammal. Rick

dirty_ernie said:
Thanks for the replies. Here's what I'm told. He has the trees all cut up into manageable logs and left to dry for 'about a year'. He then gets the order and cuts & splits according to requested log length and makes the delivery.

Like I say, we just moved in & I'm still learning. My Kennebec was just delivered last week & I was hoping to get some decent fel for burning later this year.

This somewhat depends upon what type of wood it is. Still, if it was cut into logs, it still does not season well until it is cut into burnable lengths. But, depending upon the wood, it might still be okay to burn this winter. Find out what it is first, but don't ask about moisture content from this turkey.

savageactor7 said:
I'm thinking 175 a cord is awful high here in NY...hell we're up to our armpits in woods. Not far from me they were selling seasoned wood for 65 if you got 10 cords or more.

That's probably face cords, which makes it comparable to the OP's offered deal.

MarkG

I think that guy started a new specie - sponge wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.