Am I crazy for wanting a "Classic" woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that I've observed and heard a lot from other woodburners is that newer stoves tend to be far more fussy about dry wood. I can run whatever I have in my old Defiant by mixing dry with not-so-dry. But my Pacific Energy Vista won't tolerate that nearly so well. Dry wood burns, other wood really doesn't want to. So I'm wondering if we're comparing apples to apples here? Obviously I'm an older stove fan, but in fairness it should be noted that there's more to it than EPA or non-EPA. Newer stoves seem to require a stronger draft than many older ones too, so that can make it seem like the stove is the culprit, when it may not be. Just a few thoughts...

Most of our customers that have switched (after the learning period) love their new stoves. I know most of the complaint are about lack of heat and most of those guys are going from a huge box to a much smaller one and no matter how efficient it is if you can only fit half the fire in it it will not make as much heat. Size the stove right install it correctly and burn good wood which you should have been doing all along and you will probably love that new stove as much as the old one. I personally burn an old cawley lemay 600 so I am no new stove snob but I would have no hesitation switching if I had to for some reason.

The goal of EPA regs is less emissions. That means burning cleaner and more efficiently. Many newer stoves (but not all) require stronger draft because the air is channeled to provide a clean glass (for a great fire view) and some for preheating the secondary air supply and distributing it via small holes in secondary tubes. These stoves will burn semi-dry wood, I just ran through a cord of damp maple, but the heat output will be poorer and coaling a bit worse. When fed dry wood one gets the best of all worlds, longer cleaner burning, more heat, less wood consumed and a nice view of the fire.

There's another important difference from the old steel boxes and many of today's stoves - shielding. That old Schrader felt great in the cold cabin because there was nothing between the fire and you besides a sheet of steel. Many modern stoves are showing up in nicer living rooms where space is at a premium. Heat shielding has become more common to reduce clearance requirements. This has nothing to do with the EPA. Like air-washed glass doors this is just a concurrent development based on user demand. If you want a more radiant stove look at models without shielding like the Drolet Austral and Myriad, or castiron stoves from Jotul like the F400, F500 & F600. The cast iron Quadrafire Isle Royale is both an easy breathing stove and highly radiant, yet it meets current EPA specs. If oldspark just took off the side shields from his Summit as has often been suggested he would have a radiant heater match for the old Nashua.

Want to know a bit more about how these old boxes burned? Here is an interesting test of several conventional boxes including the Schrader.
http://www.epa.gov/ttnchie1/conference/ei16/session5/victor.pdf

Last edited:
The goal of EPA regs is less emissions. That means burning cleaner and more efficiently. Many newer stoves (but not all) require stronger draft because the air is channeled to provide a clean glass (for a great fire view) and some for preheating the secondary air supply and distributing it via small holes in secondary tubes. These stoves will burn semi-dry wood, I just ran through a cord of damp maple, but the heat output will be poorer and coaling a bit worse. When fed dry wood one gets the best of all worlds, longer cleaner burning, more heat, less wood consumed and a nice view of the fire.

There's another important difference from the old steel boxes and many of today's stoves - shielding. That old Schrader felt great in the cold cabin because there was nothing between the fire and you besides a sheet of steel. Many modern stoves are showing up in nicer living rooms where space is at a premium. Heat shielding has become more common to reduce clearance requirements. This has nothing to do with the EPA. Like air-washed glass doors this is just a concurrent development based on user demand. If you want a more radiant stove look at models without shielding like the Drolet Austral and Myriad, or castiron stoves from Jotul like the F400, F500 & F600. The cast iron Quadrafire Isle Royale is both an easy breathing stove and highly radiant, yet it meets current EPA specs.

Want to know a bit more about how these old boxes burned? Here is an interesting test of several conventional boxes including the Schrader.
http://www.epa.gov/ttnchie1/conference/ei16/session5/victor.pdf
Nice explaination BG. I wish sometime though, I would like too see my old Buck tested relative to the new stoves. I know, you guys give me a hard time, but my old buck heats like a fool, the glass stays almost as clean as my little Hampton. I think a lot of it has to do with the old Buck's convection/heat exchange system and introduction of air through the door handles which somewhat washes the glass. I have never seen any other old non-EPA rated stove that has a heat exchange system anywhere near close to the old Buck. Anyway, you know me, Love my little Hampton, and will never give up my Buck!

Side note. First one I fire in the morning is the Buck, because it raises the temp in the house fast. Second, now that I have 2 stoves, interestingly, I don't burn anymore wood than i did with one. However, the house is more evenly heated and comfortable. And I get twice the fun......2 stove to play with ;)

No its not really fair and you see it mentioned on here many times, good dry wood and not smoldering the fire by keeping track of flue temps and you will have little creosote.
My old stove heated my house well below 0, the new one does not, smaller stove though.
My 2.3CF EPA stove can heat my large home down to -25F if you keep it fed and fired. It won't be over 70 in here but 65-68 which is where I like it anyways. A lady friend I know has a pre EPA stove that's been sitting in here garage for 20 year unused not hooked up. I shouldsee who made it.

Status
Not open for further replies.