am i doing this wrong?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I am having to fix everybody's posts today.::-)
Have a hydraulic splitter, still use the x 27 a lot more because it's a lot faster. Still use the splitter but not every time.
Keep swinging

but you have to have enough beans in your buns to make that weight work for you.

Absolutely true. It works well on really gnarly, stringy stuff that the x27 will start to split and then get stuck in.

Some stuff just won't be busted any other way than wedges or a hydro splitter.

I have stuck mine into a round, then beat the back of it with a sledge......works ok. But I got mine 12 years ago used for $10.

Because the force calculation uses velocity squared, you are better off with a lighter axe swung at a faster speed. Fast & quick >>> slow and heavy.

This is not always true.....if you deliver more energy with a very sharp axe and it "sticks" but deliver less energy with a maul that hits and bounces, sometimes you get better results with the maul. That's because that additional energy is being eaten up by friction (causing the axe to stick in the wood due to its geometry).

Have a hydraulic splitter, still use the x 27 a lot more because it's a lot faster.
I wouldn't say "a lot" but I enjoy splitting by hand when it is straight grained.........haven't picked up a lot of that lately, but hope to soon.

I have a heavily modified "Mega Maul" that I got from Bailey's. The mega maul handle was too short so I brought it to a friend who sawed off the handle and TIG-welded a 36" stainless-steel handle back on it. I put a rattle-can non-slip finish (basically truck-bed coating) on the new handle. I don't use it very often because it's a beast to swing, but it will pop through just about anything on the first shot, even stringy or wet stuff that would hang up a conventional maul or a wedge and hammer. I do have a hydraulic splitter but every once in a while I like to bring out the hand tools for some exercise - especially when it's some easy wood like ash or birch. My dad used an original Sotz Monster Maul for 25 years, so much that the handle has a distinct curve to it. He won't sell it but won't use it anymore either. We share ownership of the hydraulic splitter and that's about all he'll use anymore. I suppose when I'm in my 70's I won't want to use a 16 lb maul either.

can't speak for the x27, but someone gave me an x25... too light...gets stuck in stringy oak and hickory. The wedge maul needs oomph but it blows them up everytime. Can't just drop it...u need velocity. So greater mass at similar velocity exceeds smaller mass at same or slightly faster speed. With practice a good sharp maul is a time saver...less hits.... sure to drive down and bend knees at impact while dropping your weight lower.
in the end everything is relative to each situation and individual factors. I am almost 50 and still do 6-8 cords a year by maul.
maybe I will get a super split eventually...

Status
Not open for further replies.