Am I in the wrong?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Capetownkg

Oct 31, 2012
Southern Maryland
This is either a great new scrounging idea or am I taking advantage of the situation? My mother in law is a real estate agent so I told her to be on the lookout for people with downed trees wood piles that the new buyers or old sellers dont want. I talk to her yesterday and she said there is a downed oak tree on a property she is selling and tje buyers want it gone. Its like 8 miles away and I told her I would be glad to take it. Then she says well let me know how much you want the sellers to pay you for cleaning it up. Really???? Free oak firewood and then I can charge? Should I decline the payment?

But if anything else any of you who know real estate agents its a good source for scrounges.

This is either a great new scrounging idea or am I taking advantage of the situation? My mother in law is a real estate agent so I told her to be on the lookout for people with downed trees wood piles that the new buyers or old sellers dont want. I talk to her yesterday and she said there is a downed oak tree on a property she is selling and tje buyers want it gone. Its like 8 miles away and I told her I would be glad to take it. Then she says well let me know how much you want the sellers to pay you for cleaning it up. Really???? Free oak firewood and then I can charge? Should I decline the payment?

But if anything else any of you who know real estate agents its a good source for scrounges.

You are providing a service. I see no problem getting paid for it.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
100 bucks! ;)

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I don't see a problem with it. If its easy work like being able to back right up to it and cut and load I wouldn't charge but if there is more work involved I def would

Are you required to then take branches, leaves, etc and actually "clean" the site then? If it's just the wood then it's a great deal but if you have to make it look like it wasn't ever there then that's up to you to decide how much time and work you want to put into it. I've cleaned up a few trees for my neighbors before but I make sure they know that I'm only taking the "tree" not everything else. Getting paid to get firewood is a great deal but make sure you and the owners have an understanding of what's to be expected. Good luck.

20130520_114921.jpg 20130520_114921.jpg

looks like poplar to me. Am I right? Not sure my little chainsaw can handle it regardless.

Attachments

• 20130520_114912.jpg
    20130520_114912.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 116
Reactions: ScotO and nrford
The bark doesn't look right but those small, spotted branches are screaming 'Tulip!' Split pic would help confirm.

If Tulip, $500 to get rid of it. ;lol

As mentioned earlier, there is a difference in expectations between firewood scrounging and a tree removal. Professional tree services and junk haulers get paid money to do a professional job in removing stuff. The new homeowners likely want it completely removed. As long as there's a clear understanding of what you are willing to do for the homeowner BEFOREHAND, then I don't see a problem for you in taking the wood and even being paid for it

I see the real estate agent being more at risk in this. If the homeowner isn't satisfied with the removal or later discovers that most firewooders will take wood FREE, then the agent's reputation will be hurt. If the homeowners discover that professionals would charge less, then the agent also takes a hit.

All good points. If it's just the rounds, free.

If they are paying, they will likely expect all the branches and clutter as well.

Not sure on main trunk, but little branch with spots is more than likely tulip. Feel free to charge accordingly. Charge like its junk wood that you have to pay to dispose of.....they dont need to know if you plan on burning it or dumping it. Have your mom in law get a cpl other quotes and beat em by $50. Rent saw if need be. Treat it like a little biz and put the money you make into a new larger saw to increase your productivity and efficiency. Youll be covered up before you know it. Have her tell other realtors too! (ALOT of my biz comes from realtors--good source of work and wood for sure)

Jay, would you move all that weight for $100? I wouldnt get out of the truck for a bill. Tulip, hickory, or anything other than gold or silver. ;)

If you take money for it, you open up a whole can of worms if your not in business. Property damage, liability, depositing checks etc.... Just do it for free, no paper trail. If you want the wood. Just take the manageable pieces. They can pay someone to pick up the scraps.

Tulip

Reactions: TreePointer
Im passing on it. To much work and hassle for shoulder season wood. I have a big red oak i can work on at my own house. On another note how about this CL ad

http://smd.craigslist.org/grd/3815032532.html

you could be ahead for a decade or two!!

Looks like Poplar bark.

As mentioned earlier, there is a difference in expectations between firewood scrounging and a tree removal. Professional tree services and junk haulers get paid money to do a professional job in removing stuff. The new homeowners likely want it completely removed. As long as there's a clear understanding of what you are willing to do for the homeowner BEFOREHAND, then I don't see a problem for you in taking the wood and even being paid for it

I see the real estate agent being more at risk in this. If the homeowner isn't satisfied with the removal or later discovers that most firewooders will take wood FREE, then the agent's reputation will be hurt. If the homeowners discover that professionals would charge less, then the agent also takes a hit.

Bingo.

That's why I like working for free. When I work for free I do it my way at my pace to the extent that I deem necessary.

Reactions: TreePointer
Im passing on it. To much work and hassle for shoulder season wood. I have a big red oak i can work on at my own house. On another note how about this CL ad

http://smd.craigslist.org/grd/3815032532.html

you could be ahead for a decade or two!!

If you have the space and a market this could be okay. Problem is you will have lots into it just hauling it away. For sure the price could probably be knocked down a bit but still that is a lot for one guy unless he is already set up for it.

Reactions: ScotO
If you have the space and a market this could be okay. Problem is you will have lots into it just hauling it away. For sure the price could probably be knocked down a bit but still that is a lot for one guy unless he is already set up for it.
I agree, Sav. I'd be offering (if I had the space) no more than 3 grand......there's a HEAP of hard work moving and stacking all that wood....unless you had a HUGE pole barn to just dump it in and forget about it for a decade....

But, getting wood that way takes all the fun out of it, IMHO. I love to run the saw, the splitter and the thrill of felling the trees.....think of all the felling you'd be missing out on!!

A lot of people think they have an oak tree... until you get there, A this is poplar .

I don't think you should take any money for it....you would have been happy if you got it for free anyway....and the client would of been happy to have it removed...that's a simple win/win situation...

i think its in poor taste that your mother in-law saw the opportunity as a chance to make money... Imagine if her clients found out you were going to take it for free and then the agent decided to get greedy and make them pay?....?

I love to run the saw, the splitter and the thrill of felling the trees.....think of all the felling you'd be missing out
Yes Sir !! CRACK ! CREAK ! SMASH ! I LOVE IT ::-)

I don't think you should take any money for it....you would have been happy if you got it for free anyway....and the client would of been happy to have it removed...that's a simple win/win situation...

i think its in poor taste that your mother in-law saw the opportunity as a chance to make money... Imagine if her clients found out you were going to take it for free and then the agent decided to get greedy and make them pay?....?

I don't see a problem with making money on it as long as everyone understands what the job is and what is going to be done. The owners need the tree cleaned up before they sell (maybe) and he needs the wood. If he's doing a complete job that meet the owners expectations then he should be paid but if he's just taking the wood and leaving the mess when they thought that it would be gone then that's where the problem comes in.

If you didn't do the job, would the home owner have to pay someone else? I think they would, so I think you shouldn't feel badly about getting paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.