Am I just being a Cheap Idiot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

camdids

Got my new Harman Accentra Insert installed. Been getting a mild smokey smell on most occasions. Had Dealer come and replace the Combustion Motor, which had died.
Yesterday I thought it was great. Could barely smell anything. Today, its been back to the same. You can get a stronger smell from the gap between the surround and the Fireplace. I'm sure the pipe is sealed well.
BUT, going by the dealers OK, I only installed the standard 5 feet Flex from the stove to just into the Liner and packed the damper area with insulation.
My Chimney from the stove is about 24 feet to the top and 10*12 Liner. I have a Top Mounted Damper which is open.
Is it more likely that the smoke is not able to rise that far in the chimney and is coming back down into the fireplace.
should I stop being cheap and get someone in to put pellet pipe to the top.

camdids said:
should I stop being cheap and get someone in to put pellet pipe to the top.

This is the only way I'd fly when it comes to an
up the chimney install. Also, most of the pros on here,
(referring to the folks who install stoves for a living)
agree that pellet vent all the way up and capped
at the top is the only way to go with this type of
install.

don't have any interest in calling you any names!
To do an acceptable installation get yourself like a 20' flex pipe with a Tclean out, Rain cup, and Top Plate for $240.00
and don't have to worry about smoke any more. Hope this is not too expensive.

do the full liner, you will be much happier. don't need a cleanout t with the Harmans though, there is no benifit with the way the stove is designed, just more joints to leak.

Hey . Thats why I said it. More accusational against my dumb side. I always new really but wanted to take the easy way out. I appreciate the replies. Calling a few Installers this morning.

I have 25 feet of the 4" Forever Flex going up my chimney. Not cheap, but works great!

This is all my dealer/installer uses for up the chimney/existing flue installations.

Status
Not open for further replies.