Am I missing any

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyWayne718

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2009
Kentucky
Alright, so I have decided that after this heating season it will be time to ugrade to a larger insert. The Vogelzang is just too small. It heats rather well for its size, I'm jus looking for longer burns. At just over 1 cf I guess you can't expect much. I was sold on the BK Princess until I read a post on here, I believe it was a Mod but I can't seem to find the thread it was in. It was nothing bad about the BK. He said that if he had a basment install then he would burn a BK or a cat stove. I think it was toward not having the light show that secondairys have, and that got me thinkin. I realized how much I like watching the fire! I have been reading about the Lopi Freedom/Bay, Regency I3100, Quadrafire 5100I mainly. Just wondering what others I am missing. The Osburn 2400 is too wide and so is the Summit. I got 32.75"w and 28"h to work with. Sorry if this is all rambled, it's 3am and I have done nothing since 10pm but read about stoves. Thanks in advance

Free-standing stoves................

Much more heat efficient than an insert.............

THAT'S what you're missing....................................

-Soupy1957

Good one Soup! I had thought about that when we first bought the place. The living room is jus not set up right for one nor big enough. It's just easier to stick with the insert, ya know.

Ya know, cat stoves make fire too, it's not like you have to have it turned way down to a low slow smoulder all the time. I get great looking secondary bursts and a great looking fire in my cat stoves. Sometimes those burn tube stove fires look more like a gas grill than a real fire.

Cody, I think the point of that post may have been about not wanting to go down to the basement to load the stove too often, and a big cat stove will burn for 12+ hours. In non-cat inserts, maybe look at the PE Super, if the Summit won't fit. That's only ~ 2 cu ft, though. . .bigger than what you have, but not going to get the burn time of the Princess @ 2.8 cu ft + cat. Also, I agree with Soupy on free-standing stoves. FWIW, Woodstocks occupy only ~ 20" in front of a fireplace, and require only 8" of hearth to the front(or elevated), and 16" to the side where the door is. . .and their current sale is the best I've seen in 3 years. Worth a look, if you have the hearth. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.