am i off my rocker?..input needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
been racking my brain trying to figure out some firewood storage........really dont have a nice spot to do a nice big shed.....so this is what i was thinking...something like the pic i am including...except on a larger scale....about 8 ft long and one row of wood..maybe 2 with about 6 inches between the 2 rows if i do 2 rows.....but the kicker is a roof on top.just a slanted roof.....will this work?..any better ideas...the rack in the pic is for a few days worth of wood stored in my sunroom...

2011-08-15111436.gif

It will definitely work to get firewood off the ground and in a neat stack.

However a few suggestions: You may want to consider using pressure treated lumber. You may want to put blocks where the 2x4 uprights meet the bottom 2x4. If you're thinking about putting a slanted roof on it you'll want to run some sort of header to support the roof for the weight of snow. Just some suggestions. Hope that helps. Either way it's nicer than what I use.

This is EXACTLY the rack that I have used for years....except mine are 10 feet long and 5' high with 1 2x4 spanning the top- and I leave about 2 feet between each row for better air circulation. I years past, I have built some of the racks with the back poles 6" higher, and cut on an angle - to accomodate a slanted 'shed' roof on each rack - but have come to the conclusion that this is un-neccesary. Now- the wood just stays in the open racks for a year - and then moves into the covered woodshed in the fall.
I believe DexterDay posted some pics of his drying area a few weeks ago - using the same racks also.

The pics are in this link -- https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/78343/

wood-fan-atic said:
This is EXACTLY the rack that I have used for years....except mine are 10 feet long and 5' high with 1 2x4 spanning the top- and I leave about 2 feet between each row for better air circulation. I years past, I have built some of the racks with the back poles 6" higher, and cut on an angle - to accomodate a slanted 'shed' roof on each rack - but have come to the conclusion that this is un-neccesary. Now- the wood just stays in the open racks for a year - and then moves into the covered woodshed in the fall.
I believe DexterDay posted some pics of his drying area a few weeks ago - using the same racks also.

The pics are in this link -- https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/78343/

Yup Dexter used those stack and stores by rutland. His setup is great.

You do not NEED to buy the brackets, either. I pre-drilled the 2x4s where they meet on the bottom and joined them with (2) 1/4-20 4" carriage bolts. Ives tried both the Stack-n-Store and bolts and nuts /w washers - and I think the bolts are stronger (and cheaper). I have had some of the welds break on the Stack-n-Store brackets,too.

I did something very similar. Its for my porch storage and works out very well. I bolt the up rights on so I can take them off for summer when I don't use them.

steeltowninwv said:
been racking my brain trying to figure out some firewood storage........really dont have a nice spot to do a nice big shed.....so this is what i was thinking...something like the pic i am including...except on a larger scale....about 8 ft long and one row of wood..maybe 2 with about 6 inches between the 2 rows if i do 2 rows.....but the kicker is a roof on top.just a slanted roof.....will this work?..any better ideas...the rack in the pic is for a few days worth of wood stored in my sunroom...

That's essentially what I've been using for abt 6 yrs to hold a ton+ up in the sun and wind.
2x2s for the sides with a couple of 2x2s across the top, supporting "filleted" 2x4s as shed-roof. NOTHING pressure-treated. Airflow gaps in sides & rear.

thanks guys....i do have a wood shed but it wont hold all my wood i need for one year burning...now my nwxt question is what would be a good cheap roof to use?

Only thing I would have done different is flush mount the 2x4 at the bottom.

HD or Lowes sells corrugated plastic sheets 2'x 8' (i think). I used to use some rigid plastic or FRP, but, I dont see the need to cover those stacks anymore. Now, I'll leave the wood in the racks uncovered from the time its split - until it moves into the woodshed - at least a year. As said many times on here before - "Wood is not a sponge". ;-)

DoubleDryStacker.jpg

maybe something like this

A lot of folks store their wood this way . . . and I know I've seen at least one member that had a simple slanted roof on his thingamajig (not really sure what you would call these things) . . . I would definitely make it bigger and go with pressure treated wood next time though.

corrugated plastic comes in 12x26....so i guess that would be the size of the storage rack i would shoot for....my wood is cut to about 18 inches...so that would leave 3 inches overhang on the front and back...and i have also tossed around the idea of taking the corrugated plastic off in the summer...and putting it back on mid fall...

I built one with PVC pipe like that and a roof. But to be truthful, the roof doesn't do much good as the rain and snow will hit it from the side and miss the roof. Especially as the stack gets lower from use. It might keep a few inches of snow off, but that is about it. It might be easier to just cover the top row or if you put a roof on, still cover the top row.

Below is a link to the thread. By the way, some people said that PVC would break in the cold, it actually held up quite well.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/58062/

As ~~Kathleen~~ said one time in one of these threads. "Some one has to say it. Nice rack." :coolsmirk:

Here's an idea. Use long pieces of tarp that are attached to short poles on the ends that are on the outside of the end verticals. The weight of the end poles and the fact that they are on the outside of the verticals will keep the tarp down and it will self adjust as you use wood. You could have a cradle on each side up top to rest the end pole into while taking wood.

Attachments

• stackcover.jpg
    stackcover.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 239
Mine are 4.5 ft tall x 12 ft long. The reason for the 2x4 at the top, is I am going to put 26" sheets of left over steel from my barn and cover (longways 12ft). Also have a little shed. Holds a little over 3 Cord over a Cord.

I used Rutlands Stack-n-Store brackets. Just add 2x4's..

Attachments

• 2 New Racks.jpg
    2 New Racks.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 247
  • Stacks n Racks.jpg
    Stacks n Racks.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 247
Status
Not open for further replies.