Am I overfiring this system? -looks like secondary burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodfire

Aug 20, 2007
I have a legacy Jotul system 18. This is a fireplace "system". It is a little more than an "insert" in that it is designed from the "ground up".

There is no secondary burn technology in this system but when I have it firing well, I do get a dark orange rolling flame above the main fire and I suspect this to be secondary burn since I only see this when the fire is quite hot. Is this an over- firing condition for such an old system?

The chimney contains a corrugated SS liner that specs out at a 1000 deg F operating, and 1400 deg F intermittent (Z-flex liner). There are no baffles between the flames and the liner, which is mounted to a cone enclosing the top.

I would hate to fry the liner since it is an expensive "hell job" to replace it, involving smashing through a brick wall as a warm up.

Opinions, advice welcome.

No, There really is no access point for one -airtight doors except for air intake at bottom. What type of thermometer could I use for such a high temperature?

Most of us use a stove top thermometer that has a magnet on back. I have a Rutland brand. Usually these things cost about $15 and can be found at stove shops and hardware stores. I seen one at a Tractor Supply the other day.

Set this thermometer on the stove top or up on the stove pipe about a foot or two. There is debates about where to measure the pipe temp.

Anyway; here is a good thread started by your very own Mr. 80s Burnout to review and compare the temps you observe against those reported recently by others.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/26871/

The big difference here is that mine is like a fireplace insert so there is no top to measure, and the flue is not accessible. There also is no heat exchanger to cool the exhaust before it exits to the flue. The only thing I can think of is to stick some low melting wire like aluminum inside and up near the collar to see if it will melt since it does this at 1200 deg F. or perhaps a small piece of solder for a lower temp check.

What do you think?

OOPS!

That just showed how smart I am. %-P

I think you need to start a new thread labeled "How do I read the stove temp with this?" and post a pic of the situation.

That might get the desired attention to the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.