Am I overthinking this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lobsta1

Sep 6, 2007
Eastern Ma.
Getting ready to install Simpson Duravent liner system using the Extend-a-cap kit. The Duravent is a double walled insulated liner that I ordered ovalized. I have 10' of that & 5' of the flex with insulation. I'm guessing the total weight is about 75 lbs.

What I am wondering about is my clay liner is a few inches higher than the brick with mortar cap. I was originally planning on bending the base plate to fit around the clay. Then I made the mistake of starting to think about it. All the weight will be point loaded on the four support points. Will I have a problem with the clay liner cracking? Should I get my grinder & cut the liner down or build up the chimney around the liner?
Thanks
Al

Attachments

• 1267_large5.jpg
    1267_large5.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 333
Whenever somone asks "am I overthinking this", the answer is usually "Yes".

(Now that I made my little jokeline), seriously:
Those tiles can deteriorate in weather, but assuming it hasn't...
...imagine setting a 75 pound weight on a tile. Would it hold? Of course it would. In fact, you should be able to stand on the thing.

Also, I think they will sell you a terra cotta cap device if you prefer. I didn't use Simpson, but I did upgrade to that cap just to save the effort of cutting to fit as you've described above.

Status
Not open for further replies.