am I running my napoleon stove wrong??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
drhiii said:
However, I purchased a high power blower from Ace Hardware, a Stanley, and married it to a timer that I have set to run for 10 minutes every hour. This works a peach.

What I do not know is if the factory blower is strong enough. I am very pleased with this Stanley on a timer. For an extra $5 a month electricity, we have gobs of heat distributed throughout the house.
mainer72 said:
joefrompa said:
Mainer - Are you doing anything to move the heat off the surface of the stove and around the room/house? Floor fans or anything?

I have an insert, not a freestanding stove, but I can tell you that the thing will be 700 degrees and wouldn't heat as much without the blower....I think blowing air by a freestanding stove would act as the same function.

I have a blower and a fan blowing at all times... next thing I'm gonna do is blow up my house lol

Hi, I'd like to know more about your blower. I have the factory recomended blower for my 1900 which works great (four years now). But always intersted in alternatives.

Here is a link to the blower:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=aZ9pTZSmJI_ksQPNxdymBA&ved=0CCwQ8wIwAw#

I tilt it up in the back towards the vents. Not straight up, but at a slight angle so the blower is perhaps 3-4" away from the bottom. Dunno why. Just seemed to make sense for more air dispersal. I usually run it on low, but on colder nights I will run it on high when we are away from the unit, in bed. It simply blasts hot air. I mean, blasts. I have it on a timer so generally I will have it pop on every hour, hour and a half, to two hours for 5 to 10 minutes at a time depending on how cold it is. I've got it down to a science to where I can gauge the amount and type of wood, the load posture, damper, all with the temps outside, and will adjust the timer to often times come on for 4 to 6 times, and then stop knowing the outside temps will warm up.

I used to use fans and stuff to direct hot air, but this blower trumps everything and I feel I can get maximize hot air from the stove when I need to, and adjust around it. I looked at the factory blower and wouldn't trade for it...

Hope this helps.

HeatsTwice said:
drhiii said:
However, I purchased a high power blower from Ace Hardware, a Stanley, and married it to a timer that I have set to run for 10 minutes every hour. This works a peach.

What I do not know is if the factory blower is strong enough. I am very pleased with this Stanley on a timer. For an extra $5 a month electricity, we have gobs of heat distributed throughout the house.
mainer72 said:
joefrompa said:
Mainer - Are you doing anything to move the heat off the surface of the stove and around the room/house? Floor fans or anything?

I have an insert, not a freestanding stove, but I can tell you that the thing will be 700 degrees and wouldn't heat as much without the blower....I think blowing air by a freestanding stove would act as the same function.

I have a blower and a fan blowing at all times... next thing I'm gonna do is blow up my house lol

Hi, I'd like to know more about your blower. I have the factory recomended blower for my 1900 which works great (four years now). But always intersted in alternatives.

We've had reports of some folks using that fan to blow air from a cold area of the house towards the stove too. They liked it being low to the floor and less tippable than a box fan.

Yes that is very helpful. Thanks!

I realize this is an old thread, but I just came across it and thought I would post this in case anyone else came around looking for information.

I have a Napoleon 1100PL which is basically the same as the 1900 except not as deep. Reading over the problem, it might be that the fiber baffles in the top of the stove aren't pushed all the way to the back, so the secondary burn isn't happening efficiently. When the baffles are pulled forward and there is a gap in the back (sometimes this happens from a log hitting it), the combustible gases and a lot of the eat exit the fire box in the back and go right up the chimney. I had this happen on my 1100PL, and it took a little while to figure out this is what was occurring. The stove pipe temperature would get pretty high, but the stove didn't throw that much heat.

If you look up at the baffles, there should be about 1.5 inches or so between the front of the baffle and the stove front. That gap is where the secondary burned gases exit up to the stove pipe (and are forced to sit in the fire box longer and get reburned and let out more heat). If the stove is burning, I just take my poker and put it up between the baffle and the stove in the front and push it all the way back. The baffles don't weigh much, so it should slide back with no problem.

If that was the problem (though I imagine that this problem was solved long ago since it is 2012 now), then you'll see a noticeable difference almost immediately. At very least, the look of the fire changes quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.