Am I safe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

metpound

Jun 20, 2008
Jonestown, PA
In our house we had a woodstove in the basement hooked into the chimney (not a fireplace). When I installed the pellet stove I used a 3 inch to 5 inch adapter and vented through the same hole. This is the 2nd year of using it this way and have not had any problems. I was just wondering if this safe and properly installed?

I think we'd need to see pic(s) to determine that.

Did you install it?

I'll see if I can post a pic and yes i installed it.

It'll also have a lot to do with the make/model of your stove and of course the type and condition of your chimney. Many pellet stoves require a stainless steel liner if vented into a chimney. It may operate fine that way, but it likely will not be in code. Codes are most often drawn up for safety reasons.

If you don't already have one installed, I would highly recommend installing a combination smoke and CO2 alarm.

itworks said:
If you don't already have one installed, I would highly recommend installing a combination smoke and CO2 alarm.

Should have said Carbon Monoxide

Status
Not open for further replies.