Am I slipping?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtarbert

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2006
Maryland
Does anyone else recoginize the pieces of wood that were difficult to split last spring and take pleasure in burning these suckers. More than once I have picked up a knarled piece of hickory that took me 10 plus hits with a maul and thought to myself......I finally win.
Mike

I had some trunk slices about 14 inch in diameter that were 14- 16 in thick, not sure what kind of wood, but my 2hp electric limb splitter wouldn't split them & they were real tough to split with a wedge & sledge ,too.

Needed major zip with my 6 lb sledge & zip is tough on the old rotated cuff.

I usually just lift the sledge over my head at full handle extension,straight up & kinda let it fall on the point of desired impact with only enough added zip as required (hopefully none) to get the job done.

I finally got the problem solved with a two pronged attack. I bought 2 heavier sledge hammers, a 12 lb & a 20 lb, & once i got used to them, i never use the lighter sledge hammers any more. The right wieght of heavier sledge usually does not need any zip assist,
as gravity does the job, most times.

Then I really got smart & just started putting the trunk slices into the stove as whole rounds,
thems that would fit,that is.

They burn slow, so i save them for my overnite burns.

So yea,I guess I won. woopie doo!

mtarbert said:
Does anyone else recoginize the pieces of wood that were difficult to split last spring and take pleasure in burning these suckers. More than once I have picked up a knarled piece of hickory that took me 10 plus hits with a maul and thought to myself......I finally win.
Mike

Oh I remember them. Especially the REAL gnarly pieces where I get three wedges stuck then start carving with the chainsaw. Those just sorta stick in your mind. I love throwing the remains of a large twisted crotch on a big bed of coals. I get the last laugh as I sit there toasty and warm.

hey scrounger,

That big red thing in your picture on the upper left hand coner of your post,
is that a steam driven circular saw that you are using to cut your rounds with?

Does it still opperate??

I started using a electric table saw to cut the 4 x 4 runners from the pallets that I bust up with my sledge hammers to size to fit my fire box. Its like 8 times faster than a electric chain saw, but only good on stuff up to 4 inch thick. That blade on yours looks like it could cut thru 12 inch or 14 in rounds.

Do they still sell a modern version of that, say opperated by a 5 hp gasoline
engine. I might be interested in buying one if its not more expensive that a log splitter.

mtarbert said:
Mike

Oh yeah...I think I remember them more because they didn't split well for stacking (I split with a splitter so the splitting isn't the frustrating part for me). The real nasty ones get sheared! ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.