Am I the last one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestcoast

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2009
NW Indiana
I finally got around to cleaning my chimney out today. :red: Just in time too 'cause it's about 45*, damp and windy as heck out. Anyone else still not done the cleaning or am I the champion procrastinator?
Somehow I waited all this time & managed to pick the windiest, blusteriest darned day to get up on the ladder; way up I might add, my chimney is nearly 30' off the ground. I wasn't too excited about being up there with 25-30 mph gusts and lake-effect rainshowers coming off L.Michigan, but with the house cooling to 64* I'd run out of "next-weekends", so I strapped my climbing harness on, tied the ladder off to the chimney & me to the ladder & got'er done. More creosote than I'd hoped to see, about 3 1/2 cups out of 2 1/2 cord burnt last year (most not too well seasoned). I hope to have less this year with some better seasoned wood (still not as good as I'd like) and a bit more finesse with controlling the insert.
Putting the baffle back in my I2400 after the cleaning I noticed one side is cracked right across I wiggled it a bit & sure enough, looks like the crack goes right through. Regency apparently guarantees them for life, so I'll have to see about a replacement. Anyone else have a baffle crack after 1 season? or got a replacement from Regency?
Anyway I'm now sitting in front of the first fire of the season. Just a little one to take the chill & damp off, but it sure feels nice.

I barely did better. When I saw the deluge of rain coming up the East Coast a few days ago I made the climb and cleaned the pipes. I have always done it in May before.

Getting older and those knees are getting wobblier. I hate the thought that I will be paying some young stud to go up there in a few years. Because I just have to see the condition of the pipes! It only takes twenty minutes but the ground must be sinking because it seems to get farther down there every year. :red:

Well good on you for being up there, plenty of 'young studs' out there wouldn't scale a chimney unless their life depended on it. I suppose it does in a manner of speaking.
Someone on here said most the creo would fall out of the pipe & cap through the summer as it dried. Not only did they give me just enough justification for waiting & cause me to get wet today, but the creo was sitting up there just the same as after the last fire in March.

You're not the last one but I fared better with the weather. Started early today and just got the cap back on when the rain started coming down here in Southwest Ohio. It got pretty wet and raw by 2:00pm but I got a good first burn out of the Glow Boy but had to start it manually. Ignitor went last season and I just can't bring myself to buy one until I've exhausted all attempts to find some competitive pricing. I doubt that's going to happen since I've found only two web dealers that sell it, and one can't or won't sell out of the home state of Wisconsin. Local dealers are slow to respond and I probably won't save much there either. Oh well...guess I'll just have to get the one that's available or just keep lighting it manually for now...

He can e-mail you pictures on your cell phone, or send you video!

Good for you that you got that thing cleaned. We cleaned ours the last time in June....of 2009.

I still havent cleaned ours... but with the new insert on the other side of house I can burn it during the shoulder season. Still I need to clean it soon!

Just got rods and brush today, clean next week one warm afternoon I guess. Still warm here.

Hi all. haven't posted all summer. Tonight is the first night in the 30's here. That always gets me going...that and my wife wanted to turn the furnace on...YIKES :exclaim: I like to wait until the first of October. Seems if I wait that long a lot of the stuff has already fallen down the chimney and the rest has loosened up. I did get a cord moved into the new addition to the yard/wood shed that I put on this spring. As you can see, I had a little help from my grandson.

Attachments

• 2010-06-05 17.16.20.jpg
    2010-06-05 17.16.20.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_20100925_145706.jpg
    IMG_20100925_145706.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_20100926_115319.jpg
    IMG_20100926_115319.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_20100926_115818.jpg
    IMG_20100926_115818.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 521
I'm way behind this year-work has been kicking my behind and not letting me take care of the important stuff. I literally finished the woodshed today, and by finished I mean I can put wood in it and keep it dry, but there's still plenty left to do on it. The chimney hasn't been touched since the end of the heating season last year, and I should probably clean inside too. I briefly entertained the idea of starting a fire tonight but eh...

index.php

Captured on cell phone camera by Larry the oil delivery driver.

:)

I almost cleaned mine today but took a nap instead. The procrastinating tired me out. :)

precaud said:
I almost cleaned mine today but took a nap instead. The procrastinating tired me out. :)

Ah. The tradition of the siesta is alive and well. :p

BrotherBart said:
Ah. The tradition of the siesta is alive and well. :p

Si. And an honorable one, at that... just think how much more civil everyone would be if they napped every afternoon.

I thought I was the King of Procrastination - cleaned my flue today.
I almost slid down my new metal roof, so opted for the the bottoms up approach. Snapped a brush rod extension at about 12 feet and then couldn't pull my brush back out because it was stuck. Eventually, two of us got it to move. And it's a filthy job.
I HATE CLEANING MY CHIMNEY! . . . almost as much as I hate paying someone $200 to do it for me.

CookWood said:
index.php

Captured on cell phone camera by Larry the oil delivery driver.

:)

I hate the expression LOL . . . but I actually did so after seeing the pic and caption. :)

I haven't done mine yet. I still pay somebody to do it, but I have been putting it off. We might even light it tonight. Oops. I should get it taken care of soon.

I cleaned mine yesterday...getting nippy here in Vermont too.

Was noticing this morning my arms are a little sore...that its a little bit of a workout brushing the pipe from top to bottom. I use the Poly Brush to keep from scratching the pipe, and it seems to fit snugger than the steel wire brush I used to use on my old fireplace.

I'll start a separate post of how much soot came out...about 1/2 to a full coffee can I estimate (should have cleaned out the ash first...didn't).

woodjack said:
I thought I was the King of Procrastination - cleaned my flue today.
I almost slid down my new metal roof, so opted for the the bottoms up approach. Snapped a brush rod extension at about 12 feet and then couldn't pull my brush back out because it was stuck. Eventually, two of us got it to move. And it's a filthy job.
I HATE CLEANING MY CHIMNEY! . . . almost as much as I hate paying someone $200 to do it for me.

I won't get up on my metal roof either.....try a SOOTEATER...works great bottom up!

Cleaned mine yesterday. I was happy with how little there was in the liner for the Vigilant. A lot better than the first year.

I am halfway done. I got the top half cleaned but needed to buy another 8" poly brush to "shape" in order to make it throught the ovalized bend.

I have been running a little behind myself. I just got the groceries for the Y2K weekend today.

Last week I told myself I would do it Friday. Friday I told myself I would do it Saturday. Saturday I told myself I would do it Monday. I'm going to do it tomorrow (Tuesday). All that is true! However, yesterday, I did get a rack of wood moved to the deck and two racks of wood into the shed. Until this week it has been too warm to burn, still in the 70's. But this week we are getting mid 40's mornings and I hope to clean the chimney tomorrow and get a few small AM fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.