Am I the only one to do this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a lot of posts relating to scrounging wood in cities, parks, etc. What I am really referring to is the farm areas like we have around here. I doubt there is a farm around here that doesn't have dead trees in fencerows or along creeks and rivers. Especially now with the emerald ash borer taking a heavy toll. As I ride my bike or drive where there are rivers, most are lined with all sorts of dead ash trees now along with many dead elm. They seem to be all going to waste....yet there are those who can hardly afford to heat their homes! A sad state of affairs.

...and with this state that we are in (MI) it's even worse! I know what you are talking about BS; as we were driving up north I saw all the dead stuff in farmer's fields and open areas. Truly would be a boon to clean all that up! I wonder if that big fire that raced through the Roscommon area a while back could have been much less if more people could have gone in and gotten out all the dead wood. It was surreal to drive along I-75 and see the area of devastation.

I live in an old farming community that is probably 75% suburbanized now. Since I started burning I see downed wood all over the place and am not shy about politely asking people. I'd say about 40% of the time I get the wood. Nearly every other time they say it has been promised to another or they will burn it.

Hey, even if it rots, its nutrients are going replensih the soil for future maintanence and growth of other trees. I guess I'm lucky there is always another opportunity around here.

It is the same up here. I haven't read one craigslist post for free wood, not so much as a matchstick. People all burn wood. On the bright side there is a dead tree for every one standing. It does make me sick to see it rotting but I can only do my part. Some people will let it rot because they only burn certain types of wood. I burn all of it, the best being FREE. I can put all of the money I save on utilities into going somewhere warm during our 7 months of winter :)

Jon

ps - you definitely notice it more when you burn wood, it's a healthy obsession :)

Status
Not open for further replies.