Am I the only one who...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
adrpga498 said:
I check on the twin Holz Hausens from the window daily. Glad I don't mess around with tarps and long linier stacks any longer. Saves me alot of space in the yard and looks from friends and neighbors ...priceless. I'm not sure how many new critters I will find in there but will find out soon enough.

lots of critters in my buddy's HH...pinecones stuffed into many cracks perhaps to stop the air rush from chilling them? who knows...it's going to run out as soon as the snow hits, that's for sure!

Not as much wood on that side of the pond - that’s why European stoves are often smaller.
800Kg, depending on species, is less that a cord and if hardwood about 1/2 cord.

Okay, I'll bite. If cordwood is measured by volume: 128 cubic feet. What difference does it make if it is soft or hardwood. Isn't it all the same volume?

Warren said:
But then there is the Russia/finish/etc... "fireplaces" which make our wood stoves look like a joke. Do the norweigen countries have an abundance of wood? Seems like Russia would.

Most European homes are 1/2 the size of the average US home so wood stoves don't need to be that big.

Finnish style masonry heaters and Russian fireplaces were developed to deal with deforestation in northern Europe. As forests have been allowed to re-grow there is plenty of wood in northern Europe but if you look at a map you'll see most of Europe lies above 50 degrees latitude so the species are like what you find here at high altitude or in Canada: larch, birch, aspen, spruce, and fir. There are few dense hardwoods but since a masonry heater gets burned full throttle it probably doesn't matter so much and there's plenty of wood considering that the combined population of Norway, Sweden and Finland is roughly the same size as New York state. Russia is almost 45% boreal forest, lots of framing lumber is currently coming from there.

I went to Iceland a few years ago and its almost completely treeless, deforested by the Vikings. Lucky for them they have geothermal heat. Each house has a potable water meter and a heating water meter and is connected to wells which tap volcanic heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.